1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique "Pro Valore" - Lt. Alex Dunn VC 1854

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Mar 15, 2015.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my completed bust of Lt. Alexander Dunn, the first Canadian and Commonwealth born winner of the Victoria Cross. Dunn won his VC in the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava and he was a participant in the first VC investiture in 1857. He is VC # 17, the order being determined by regimental precedence.

Dunn purchased a commission in the 11th Husssars in 1852 and took part in the famous charge on Oct. 25, 1854. He was known as one of the handsomest men in the British army and he stood an alarming 6' 3" at a time when the average height of a cavalry man was much less. He carried an extra long custom made sabre. In the charge, Dunn saved two soldiers of his own regiment at great personal risk and was a unanimous vote for the VC when the survivors were polled by Colonel Douglas. A short time after the charge, Dunn resigned his commission and returned to Canada, taking Mrs. Douglas with him. He had an interesting career being the founder of the 100th Royal Canadian Regiment and serving as the first non_British born Colonel of a British regiment (33rd Duke of Wellington's). He died on the Abyssinian campaign while on hunting expedition, officially due to accident but according to some through murder.

The bust is constructed of sculpey firm, magic sculpt, twine and chain. There is an SBS on my vbench. The scale is about 1/6 and the piece is painted in acrylics and inks.

He still needs a base and perhaps some minor touch ups as I note faults. I will post a few photos of the final project once he is based and labelled.

Colin

P3151496.jpg

P3151539.jpg P3151541.jpg P3151543.jpg P3151497.jpg P3151506.jpg P3151508.jpg P3151522.jpg
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Colin, an amazing piece of work! Some extremely complex lacework and giltwork superbly executed, along with a top paint job!

Steve(y)
    crf likes this.
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Outstanding, dear Colin!(y)
    I watched your SBS and I enjoyed the Master in action! Congrats my friend and I hope to see this beauty in Hamilton!
    Cheers and see you soon!
    Zeno (y)
    crf likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    I am bowing as I type ...amazing work ..Heavan knows what gem you will next treat us to

Thanks for sharing. This and the SBS

Nap
    crf likes this.
  5. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Colin this is a beautiful piece of work, but I think your error is the title. 'Pro Valore' is for the VC awarded by Canada as you know and has not yet been awarded. Dunn won an Imperial VC and therefore it should be 'For Valour' to be correct. It would be more correct to await Canada's first award before using this title.Dunn's VC was made from the Chinese cannon bronze whilst the canadian issue also has Canadian metals added so not correct there either.
    These comments do not however take anything away from this lovely piece of work, just me being pedantic
    Tom
    crf likes this.
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Stunning lacework.
    Cheers
    John
    crf likes this.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow, stunning work and painting, fantastic. (y)

Bob
    crf likes this.
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I believe that the medal has been made from a bronze cannon, captured from Sevastopol.
    crf likes this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi
    Thanks for your comments Tom. I am aware of the facts you note and agree with them. Pro Valore was chosen as a title because in my thoughts it links the history of the VC with Canada. Canada did not exist as an independent nation before 1867 so Dunn was a British citizen and British army recipient of the award, which of course carried the words "For Valour." I know none of the Canadian versions of the VC have been awarded yet, although it may be sooner than I like if our hawkish PM has his way. I liked the words as a title in any case. Latin is always classy :)

Cheers

Colin
    housecarl and Joe55 like this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work all around.

Marc
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Wiki on the VC has a discussion on the accuracy of the Sebastopol tradition vs Chinese cannon captured from the Russians in 1855.

Colin
  12. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Awesome !
    crf likes this.
  13. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,

I'll venture to say that you have outdone yourself!

;):cool:(y)

Joe
    crf likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Bravo Colin
    As I said in the WIP thread, hands down, this is by far the best work you've done to date.
    Regardless of how, where or when the VC was awarded, Dunn is an interesting character... somewhat of a rogue... I like that :sneaky:

From putty to paint this is awesome. Your attention to detail have paid off in spades and the speed at which you work is still astounding. Look forward to seeing the final product in the Hammer.

Bravo again

Colin
    arj, Paul Kernan and crf like this.
  15. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Wow! I like this.

Steve Deyo
    crf likes this.
  16. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    As always l eat up everything you do. I love all your works but this takes the cake. This is seriously good. The detail in his dolman? Is second to none. This is one of my favorite figures ever.
    crf likes this.
  17. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Great stuff, Colin. The detail work is extremely well done(y)(y)(y)
    crf likes this.
  18. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Stunning!!!! work Colin. So much great detail,beautifully done.
    Regards,
    John(y)
    crf likes this.
  19. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Outstanding piece of sculpting and painting, if only it was available commercially!

Mike
    crf and Chris Mortimer like this.
  20. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Agreed!
    crf likes this.