WIP Critique Private S. Baldrick, Elan 13 Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Feb 22, 2015.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    As a huge fan of the Blackadder comedy series, I couldn't resist buying this little bust of Private Baldrick produced by David Lane at Elan 13.

The only fiddly bits are the glasses, which come with hollow plastic frames and the arms of the glasses are made from thin copper wire. I haven't fixed the thin copper wire to the sides yet, but will probably finish it tonight. The lenses were made using Crystal Clear and allowed to dry for 24 hours.

Painted in Josonja Acrylics with a series of oil washes and MIG pigments added. I'll be adding more levels of dirt and grime to the uniform and face.

Famous for his cunning plans and his lack of personal hygiene, Baldrick was the most slovenly soldier on the Western Front and one of the worst war poets in history.

Who can forget his classic poem, "The German Guns" ?

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom,
    Boom, Boom, Boom.

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom,
    Boom, Boom, Boom.
    IMG_2393.JPG IMG_2394.JPG IMG_2395.JPG
    garyhiggins, Grod, Tarracus and 12 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Cunningly planned and executed!

Colin
    garyhiggins, Gaudin and tonydawe like this.
  3. chris1 Active Member

Very well done,
    I'd love to see a bust of Lt George and Lord Flash also,damit why notall the main characters.
    Any way your figure has reminded me I'm on dinner duty tonight.
    Tonight it's Rat au Van.

Cheers

Chris
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Colin(y)

Thanks Chris. I hope after dinner you plan to serve desert. Plum duff and raisins with custard? and then a cappuccino with two lumps of sugar? :D
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. Nap A Fixture

England
    Tony,

Indeed a cunning plan ..great painting really like that spot on the head ...just waiting to be added to the next meal!!

Good work on the scarf and bandolier.......he must have been a RSM's nightmare ...just so soldierly ...not!

Boom boom boom ..ranks alongside the classics

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    tonydawe likes this.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You have done a great job on this tony,congrats
    tonydawe likes this.
  7. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    Great job Tony, may I suggest more mould and mildew for a proper grubby Baldrick
    tonydawe likes this.
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great poem, realistic 'zit'!

Mike
    tonydawe likes this.
  9. Edward A Fixture

England
    Great version Tony! (y)
    tonydawe likes this.
  10. Richard Baxter Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Wonder if (Sir) Tony Robinson has seen this? Am sure he'd be chuffed. Someone should send him one with the thanks of the nation for creating one of the all-time great comedy characters.
    tonydawe and Jimbo like this.
  11. swralph A Fixture

Looking good.
    Ralph.
    tonydawe likes this.
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I spy with my little eye something beginning with 'R' "Motorbike"!
    Excellent painting and 'spot' on. Lovely rendition of Baldrick.
    All the best
    Bob
    tonydawe likes this.
  13. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully done. Suitably messy.
    It's S. Baldrick to a 'T'
    Cheers,
    Andrew
    tonydawe likes this.
  14. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Tony,
    A great version of the bust. It looks like you had as much fun painting him as I did sculpting him.
    tonydawe likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you everyone for your lovely comments, they are most appreciated.

Thanks Rob for sculpting such a delightful bust. I wish you'd complete the set and sculpt Blackadder, Lt George and Gen. Melchett too.
  16. Nap A Fixture

England

Rob has made a real nice job of this and your painting looks great agree about he companion figures especially Melchet with that brilliant moustache ...unlike Baldricks use of a slug!.....laughing even thinking about that !

I would also like to him do a Prince Georgie from an earlier series

Nap
  17. Nap A Fixture

England
    Tony,

Can you share how you are going to dirty him up !...always something I am wary of doing!

Nap
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Sure Nap.

Once I've painted the figure or bust with acrylics, I will apply a pin wash using oil paints and white spirits to deepen the shadows and add some tonal variations within the shading. I will then apply some pastel chalks or pigments as a paste by mixing them with white spirits into a muddy consistency. I that apply this paste in a way to replicate mud splatter. Some time I will flick it on to create a splatter pattern, other times I will slap it on thickly with a paint brush to create some texture and layers. Once the pigments/ pastels dry, they tend to go lighter, so I will then look at ways of applying darker mud over lighter coloured mud to create a look of wet mud over dried mud. White spirit tends to dry dead flat, which is very useful, but if I want to create a wet look to the mud, I will often dab a few bits of satin or gloss lacquer over the mud to give it a wet sheen.

The face is done exactly the same way as the uniform, however I assume that the face gets wiped regularly so I tend to smear and streak the mud and dirt after its applied. I also try to replicate the effect of sweat and/ or tears running down the face by creating streaks around the eyes and nose where the dirt is washed away. Hope that helps mate.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  19. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Nicely done Tony, the little bloke from the wrong end of the trench looks suitably worn, grubby and generally oikish(y).
    Best wishes, Gary.