1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Printing your own nameplates

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by PLG, Nov 9, 2021.

1. PLG Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

i know that companies like Name It! produce great value nameplates, but I like the flexibility and convenience of printing my own using nothing but Word and my home printer.

in essence I print on overhead projector acetate sheet, add a background colour and use double sided tape to fix it in place. It is important that all of the printing is on the reverse side and so cannot be damaged when in place.

here is a link to a downloadable pdf explaining the process in easy steps.

https://sarnia-miniatures.co.uk/?wpdmpro=printing-nameplates-at-home

the one below is a simple font with a simple border, but you can add anything which you can put in a Word textbox.

peter

D712F599-507C-4EEC-89B8-8B5FFAAE6216.jpeg
    Jeff T, sd0324, Bundook and 5 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Thank you for sharing this method , the end result looks good and neat

Appreciate your time

Nap
  3. lascar 22 Active Member

France
  4. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    Producing mirror text is not so straightforward if you are not a Word Wizzard like what I am. Wait until I get my hat on.... rummage ...rummage ...there we go. Now, follow after me [using the latest version of Word]
    [1] Open a blank Word document.
    [2] Insert a text box for your label. On the Insert tab click Text Box in the Text group and click Draw Text Box.
    [3] Drag in the document to draw in an empty text box. Type in your label text:
    rightway.jpg
    [4] Right-click in the text box and click Format Shape... in the context menu.
    [5] Click the Effects tab in Shape Options (it looks like a little pentagon) in the Format panel on the LHS of the screen.
    [6] Click 3D Rotation to open it and set X Rotation to 180
    [7] If necessary, click the Fill & Line tab in Shape Options (it looks like a little paint bucket) in the Format panel on the LHS of the screen and click the No Fill radio button. The text will jump back to the right way around as you make this change.
    [8] Click outside the text box and Zap! Bam! Wow! You are now in a strange mirror universe (or at least your text box is)!
    bassackwards.jpg
  5. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

This is something I struggle with at times. These links and tips are a great help.

Steve
  6. Nap Moderator

England

Agree there ..very useful tips

Cheers Bundook

Nap