1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Printer's inks

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by James Zilvitis, Jan 25, 2024.

  1. James Zilvitis New Member

    I've been reading a lot of the Mr. Black Publication books on Figure painting. They keep mentioning "printer's inks." Are they talking about what we use in our inkjet printers or something that would have been used in traditional print houses where you get professional printing done? And if so where do I get that?
  2. arj A Fixture

    Printers inks are a paste like substance which you can thin with turps.
    I use them all the time, and get them from El Greco Miniatures:-
    https://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/collections/painting-modelling?filter.p.vendor=Printers' Inks&filter.p.m.my_fields.paint_type=Metallics&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=
    Use them neat and, once dry, shade them with oil washes. Then pick out highlights with the neat printers ink.
    I also mix the silver with blue and black (oils) to get a steel colour; and gold with green and brown to get a brass finish.
    Hope that helps.

    Merryweather and Nap like this.
  3. Richie A Fixture

    Nap likes this.

Share This Page

planetFigure Links

Reviews & Open Box
Buy. Sell & trade
Link Directory

Popular Sections

Figure & Minis News
vBench - Works in Progress
Painting Talk
Sculpting Talk
Digital Sculpting Talk
The Lounge
Report Piracy

Who we are

planetFigure is a community built around miniature painters, sculptors and collectors, We are here to exchange support, Information & Resources.

© planetFigure 2003 - 2022.