1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Printers Inks Questions

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Gary D, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi, I have been reading quite a bit about printers inks in the forums. People say they use the inks and sometimes mix them with other types of paints, glosses etc.
    Could someone please tell me how to appy them, colours that are commonly used, and when going to a printers shop to obtain them, how much to ask for. I am mainly after creating bronze and gold effects right now, but as I am sure there are thousands of colours available, is the intent to try to replace oil painting?

Thanks,

Gary D
  2. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Using an oil based, clear enamel as the medium gives superb results. If you are attempting a shiny surface such as polished brass or silver, be sure to use clear gloss. Surfaces such as unpolished armor, blades etc. work will with a matte medium.

I get by with Silver, Gold, Dk. Gold, and a film canister of each will last a lifetime. VERY little goes a long way.
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Gary,
    You can mix them with Winsor Newtons Liquin and Turpentine. Just a little Liquin will do. You must mix them with a drying agent or the inks will not dry and will stay wet. The liquin is a drying agent and in Mike's post he is using the clear enamel as the drying agent. As mike states a "little" will go a long way.

Cheers
    John
  4. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Gents for the replies. I will be ordering some right away and will keep in mind the drying agent when applying it.

Thanks again,

Gary
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Available in the UK?

I've also read about these but cant find them anywhere in the Uk. I go into printers and art shops to askand they look at me blankly?
  6. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi Grant. I now know that Michael Roberts Ltd. and Military Miniatures Warehouse in the U.S. sell gold and pale gold in a 1.5 oz container for about $8 US each.
    I still do not know where to get brass, silver, and bronze.

I am going through the same thing here in Canada with print shops. I understand that the inks are almost paste like and not fluid as one might think. You need to dilute them before applying it. I would think that common thinner might work (?). Apparently they go on very smooth and thin and therefore are ideal for braiding etc.

Both companies I mentioned have websites where you can order direct.

Gary
  7. magister militum New Member

United-States
    Ya I'm also having trouble tracking down silver ink. I emailed Michael Roberts Ltd and they told me they no longer carry it.
  8. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice 1 gary.

Thanks Gary,
    Let me know how you get on with them.
    Grant
  9. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    If anyone else knows where we can buy different colours of Printers Inks, or has anymore information on application etc., I am sure a lot of people would appreciate knowing. ;)

Thanks,

Gary
  10. Ryder New Member

United-States
    I have also had no luck finding print shops that know what I am asking for.
    I have started using calligraphy inks in gold and silvers. But I would like to find the real printers inks.
  11. herbwf Member

United-States
    I won't be much help in finding printers in the the UK, but I have had a great deal of luck with application. I use the carrier from Humbrol brass to mix my inks with.Open the can WITHOUT shaking it up, add an amount of ink about the size of a match head to the carrier and mix well. If you are going to use Mr Metalizer or other buffable paint, buff it first then apply the high highlights. You may also try mixing it with your shading mix for some interesting results.

Hope this helps,
    Herb
  12. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks for the reply Herb. I really appreciate the instructions.
    I hope my questions don't sound too stupid but here goes:

1. Are you using the carrier only from the Brass tin? If so, do you pour out the carrier into a seperate container first and then mix with the ink?

2. Is there a ratio to use or do you mix the ink with the carrier and then stir into the brass paint?

3. Is there something about the carrier for Humbrol Brass that is different than other colours?

4. Can the carrier be used for different colour inks or should it be used specifically for brass only. If I want to use antique gold ink, should I mix it with the carrier only from Humbrol gold?

I hope I am not sounding too thick.

thanks,:)

Gary
  13. herbwf Member

United-States
    Gary,
    Sorry for the long delay getting back to you. Have not returned to this part of the site for a while.

I started using the Humbrol carrier by chance. Carriers from other good metallcs should work as well. I have used the carrier from Mr Metal paints a couple of times but they are so volatile they evaporate too quickly. I use the metallic paint because the pigment settles out of the carrier completely and won't alter the color when using silver.

I remove carrier with a tooth pick, literally, a drop or two. I add a spot of ink, also picked up with a toothpick, about the size of a peppercorn or a bit smaller and stir that into the carrier.
    A little goes a LONG way.

If you are still having trouble finding inks, email me you address and I will send some of the three colors I have
    Hope this helps, Herb
  14. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks for the reply Herb. I really appreciate it. Your timing couldn't be better as I ordered Pale Gold and Gold from Michael Roberts last week and I should receive them any day now. What you say makes sense to me now. Getting my hands on Humbrol doesn't seem to be a problem here so that's what I'll use.

Thanks again,

Gary
  15. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Grant, did you try Dunns art store in Scott St in Perth opposite Pizza Hut (or is it PASTA Hut these days) I know they have bottles of Liquid Leaf in different golds, bronzes and silvers. If i get a chance i can find out if you want.
    Barrie.
  16. magister militum New Member

United-States
    Is Liquid Leaf a good substitute for printers ink? I can't find silver printers ink anywhere but I know they sell Liquid Leaf at my local art supply store.
  17. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Not at all in the same league. But if it is all you have to use, you can make it work.
  18. Einion Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Mike's comment above: not in the same league from what I've seen.

Do you have any local model shops that stock Vallejo air? Their metallics are supposed to be excellent as far as water-thinned paints go. Failing that the Vallejo alcohol-based metallics are superb (if they haven't gelled in the bottle, which they have a tendency to do) but a bit tricky to apply well.

Einion
  19. Grunt101st New Member

United-States
    Oil based Printers Ink Group Buy?

Well after some searching I came up with this:

http://www.boxcarpress.com/photopolymer-supplies/letterpress-ink-metallic.html

Anyone want to go in on a group buy? I figure each person would need about an ounce of each at most. The way I have it figured: Approx 35 oz in each can. Total price for all three cans= approx $200. So one ounce each of all three inks lot divided 35 ways equals approx six bucks. Taking packaging and shipping in to account.
  20. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Herb was dead on. I got my printers inks (gold and pale gold) from Michael Roberts and with the carrier from Humbrol, it goes on beautifully thin and uniform and the quantity in the containers no doubt will last forever.

Thanks again Herb.

Now if only we can find silver and bronze we'd be set for life!;)

Gary