1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Printer Ink?

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Showlen, May 8, 2011.

1. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    I've seen a couple of posts in the "painting" arena where folks have used printer ink for certain colors. Are they referring to a particular brand, and are they using individual bottles for, like, refill cartridges? What is it best used for?

Thanks!

-Ronnie
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    No Ronnie, it is not for refill cartridges. I thought it was inkt that is used to print cards like birhtday, wedding, funerall etc.
    That kind of inkt.
    You can buy it trough Stormtroopers. They have great inkt.
    Ít can be used for painting metallic. I mix it with my oilpaint before i put it on a figure. Then building up untill i get the unmixed printersinkt.

Marc
  3. Topp New Member

Spain
    Hi, guys.
    I am interesting to know where is possible to shop these inks. Anybody knows any shopping link for these inks.
    Thanks
    Miguel.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
  5. Topp New Member

Spain
    Thank you so much, Marc. Thanks for your help. Do you know the type of bottle (size and shape) for this printer's ink from stormtroopers ? because into the link I can only see the colour.
    Thanks again.
    Best regards
    Miguel.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I'm at my work now and i think the bottle is 4 cm high and 3,5 cm diameter. I think there is 5 cc ink and 5 cc sealing liquid.
    One bottle from each will do for a lifetime. You only need a tip of a brush for mixing with the oils and you can paint a whole helmet in 75 mm with it.

Marc
  7. Topp New Member

Spain
    Great Marc. Thanks again for your support. When you can, could you send to me a picture about these inks ? My intention is to buy some of them (even if they are really expensive) because all guys say that the results are very good. What is your opinion?
    Could you provide me this picture ?
    Thanks Marc.
    Sorry for the incoveniences.
    Best regards
    Miguel.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Here is a link: http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37043
    In my vBench and my website you can find alot of figures. The metals are always painted with a mix of printersink and oil.
    I really like to paint with this mix. It gives alot of controle on the metals. You start dark and end with pure ink.

Marc
  9. Topp New Member

Spain
    Thank you so much for your link. I like it. Your figures in your workshop are wonderful. Great job.
    When you say...mixing the oil paints with the printer's inks, for example for the armour plate in silver color,... what oil colour do you mix with the silver ink ?.... Ivory Black ?....

Please, Marc, do you have any photograph of the Stormtrooper inks ? I would like to know the type of bottle....

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Miguel.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Silver is mixed with ivory black.
    Gold is mixed with burnt umber.
    Shading with pure black or burntumber.
    Highlight with pure ink.

Gonna take a picture of a bottle when i'm home from work this evening.

Marc
  11. Topp New Member

Spain
    Thank you Marc. It is very usuful for me. I take note about your mixtures. Is the mixture thinned with Turpentine or Odorless Thinner ?
    If you could take some photograph, I will appreciate a lot, in this way, I will have a good reference.
    Thank you so much for your information Marc.
    take care!
    Miguel
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    No, i don't thin the mix. The printersink is coming with a layer on it that keeps it from drying out.
    That is enough thinner for the mix.

Marc
  13. Topp New Member

Spain
    Ok, fine Marc, I understand you.
    For the moment I will try to buy 2 bottles, silver and gold, testing with both of them. I hope to learn new techniques with these inks painting metal layers.
    Please, when you can take the photo, let me know.

thanks for your help, my friend.

Take care!

Miguel
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Here is a picture of the gold bottle.
    The silver is just the same.
    printersink 001 (Small).jpg printersink 002 (Small).jpg

marc
  15. Topp New Member

Spain
    Hi Marc.
    Thank you so much for the picture. Now, I have a good idea about the size and type of bottle.
    Ok, I gonna buy 2 colours from Stormtroopers (silver and gold 9). I have contacted with him, great service and very kind.
    Thanks Stuart.
    When I will receive these inks at home, I will try your "magic" colour mixtures with silver for example...
    I will keep informed to you.
    Thank you so much Marc. Great help.
    Miguel
  16. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    HI all,

Concerning those inks, does anybody know if there's someone selling them in North America ?

Thanks

Alex
  17. Topp New Member

Spain
    Hi Alex, nice to meet you.
    I unknow if these inks are selling in North of America. I only know the Storm-Troopers site. Anyway, you can contact with him, maybe the shipping costs to USA from UK could be not too expensive. He is a good guy, try to contact with him.

Anyway, if anyone have any notice about selling printer's inks from USA, we hope your feedbacks.

Regards Alex.
  18. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    hi
    elgrecominiatures carries all inks and they ship to north america
    around 60$ shipped for 3 jars
    not bad

i have a quick question. Their inks do not come with any thinners added. do you mix them straight with oil paints without adding turp ?

also is it possible to mix those inks with a vehicle that will accept some additional layers of a acrylic paints? as you know i can't paint acrylics over oils

thanks

alex
  19. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a sidenote to the above, kindly note that the Printers' Inks on our website are NOT diluted at all. So you will get a full 40ml jar of pure ink. They can be thinned down with turpentine or similar suitable thinner.

Thanks,
    Celine

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      206.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you very much !

So a little bit of turp and some oil ?
    But not what about making it compatible with an overlay of acrylics ?
    Any ideas someone ?

I will definitively place an order at elgreco

Alex