1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Primers

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Bryan, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Bryan Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.Having only just joined.
    I have always primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned with self levelling thinner
    Is it still ok to prime miniatures before painting with mainly Vallejo
  2. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

Hi Bryan,
    welcome to PF, hope you get lots of answers to your questions.
    There are benefits of priming your figure before painting your figure - one is being able to identify any minor flaws and/or errors before you do a lot of work and find there is a line you did not see (when unprimed) and is now fast becoming an eye sore.

You will find that there are many opinions on priming a figure, and many opinions on what primer / colour etc. to use. Use what works for you, and see if you can learn from other people.
    Would be nice to see some of your work.
    Bryan likes this.
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Sure, why not?

I use Tamiya's fine surface primer, myself, or sometimes even Rustoleum or automotive primer, out of the rattle-can, in either case. I use Mr. Surfacer, but I have not tried using it as a primer yet.

As LH mentioned, priming allows you to check for flaws before proceeding to apply more paint. Also, the primer can provide a better "tooth" for your finish coats. Acrylics generally need a primer on styrene or resin, to improve adhesion.

And welcome to the Planet! I look forward to seeing your work!

Prost!
    Brad
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bryan

Priming .....some use Mr S as a primer , some use white , gray I use a good Matt black car primer although also havexArmy Painter primer which is very good but dearer

Brad and LH has explained it well above but also look at this thread

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/primer-color-why.132466/

So yes is my answer

Nap
    theBaron likes this.
  5. Bryan Member

Thanks guys I mentioned about using Mr Surfacer 1500 on another forum and got pulled over the coals.
    Even got stick for using an airbrush to prime.
  6. Nap Moderator

England

None of that here Bryan .....constructive comments , bit of banter sometimes but a heck of a lot of great people

I know many that use airbrush to prime .....I am banned SWMBO says I would spray walls ...lol

Happy benchtime

Nap