1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Primer for W&N oil paints

Discussion in 'Oils' started by AverageJoe, Mar 29, 2015.

1. AverageJoe Member

Hi everyone :)

I'm looking at venturing into the world of oils. I will be working with W&N artists oils, along with sansodor. My question is, do I only require an acrylic primer before applying oils, or do I require something else?

Cheers,

AJ
  2. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I prefer acrylic primers for oils. That way you don't have to worry too much about whatever thinner you might use eating through the primer. I have used Laquer and enamel based primers in the past, and even when I let them dry for a long period, I from time to time ran into the problem of the primer being eaten through. I used odorless thinners which are very mild. Plus, if you have to strip the paint and start again (a frequent occurrence for me) its far easier to remove an acrylic primer and get it off completely. I use oven cleaner. You can also use a solvent based primer, base coat with acrylics, then apply oils over that. The acrylic base coats will act as a bit of a barrier between primer and oils.
    Eludia likes this.
  3. AverageJoe Member

Thanks for your reply :) I'll give it a go :)
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi AJ,

I am not an Oily but my mate Jimbo is and he uses enamels to great success as a undercoat primer .

Looking forward to seeing your results

Nap
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I paint only and exclusive in oils. I prime with automotive primer. When dry I paint metallic figures with acrylic before applying the oils. On resin I paint recently direct on the automotive primer. That goes very well.
    So Ivo Preda who talked me in about this is right. He told me that painting the primer with acrylic or Humbrol is only a waist of time. You can also paint the first oilpaint layer instead acrylic or Humbrol. The outcome is the same.

Marc
    Eludia and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I prime the figure with either Halfords (car) primer or Humbrol spray can. I block in the colours with Vallejo or Humbrol acrylic as a second primer. I'm not averse to using oils with Humbrol enamels - they are both oil based.

Mike
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I also use Halfords primer (sometimes Vallejo primer though an airbrush, I paid for it so I might as well use it, although I prefer Halfords ;)). I undercoat with Jo Sonja craft acrylics in approximate colours to whatever oils are going on over the top, I've found that the oils cover better using this method, even the transparent or semi-transparent ones. It also makes painting certain materials easier e.g. leather. The JS paints dry very flat so provide a good "key" for the subsequent coats of oil (I haven't had any paint fall off my models yet ;))
    garyhiggins and MCPWilk like this.
  8. AverageJoe Member

An overwhelming response, Thank you to everyone! I am local to a Halfords store so that will be my next stop!

Thank you to everyone for your replies,

Regards,

AJ
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I prime with halfords but don't really like it :rolleyes: might change back to tamiya , finding the H stuff rubbing off easy.

Tried to strip an old figure of some twenty five year vintage and cannot get the paint off even with a total aggressive stripper , it was primed with humbrol as there was not much else on the go then
  10. Artsupplies New Member

Australia
    I am new in the world of paints but i found this thread very useful. Nice information is shared here. Thanks!
  11. Nap Moderator

England

That good to know...WELCOME to PF .....looking forward to seeing your work and hope you enjoy your visits

Nap
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi AJ

I prime all my pieces with Halfords grey auto primer,i then undercoat all my colours using Games Workshop Acrylic paints and then I finish everything in oils (y)

Hope this helps

Brian
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I've used automotive primer, and I'm currently using Tamiya's rattle-can primer, which is very fine-grained but has good tooth for top coats. I can recommend either of those.

I switched from automotive primers to Tamiya, basically to get the finer-grained primer for some subjects. But I still have the automotive primer on hand, and use it, occasionally.

Prost!
    Brad
  14. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    I just use Humbrol grey enamel applied thinly by brush for a couple of coats, then I go strait on to oils. Mind you, now I have had a go with acrylics, I am using a spray primer for that.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    Halfords primer in grey white or black as suits
    Steve