1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Prices of figures

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Ferris, May 14, 2015.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks for your input Brad.
    Agreed on the reference.
    And it may be a good idea to look at 'toy soldiers' as well. It seems those brands have a long ligespan, so they would make a good comparison.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    theBaron likes this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks for your input Paul. Very useful references!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Osman,

Thanks. Another reason to meet then. ;-)

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Could be a liability rather than asset and you could still be right. Actually you need the same number of figs on either side or it won't balance :)....... accounting humour.
    Ferris likes this.
  5. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

I can remember that when it was released, The Gothic Knight by Hinchcliffe was the most expensive figure on release for a short time at £30.00 (90mm) Ray
    Ferris likes this.
  6. Ferris A Fixture

Ray, thanks. Do you remember when that figure was released?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Colin,

I tell my wife and see if that works.
    She must at least admit the mortgage that pays for it all goes on the balance sheet!

Cheers,
    Adrian
    crf likes this.
  8. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

1980-81 I think Adrian. The price also included a wooden base. regards, Ray
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Ray. Coincidentally I found the advert for this figure in a MilMod of Jan 1980 just now!

These adverts are a great source.
    Hope to get some work done on this over the weekend.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Guys, I need some help:
    I'm looking for prices in old Military Modelling mags, but I have not had them for long enough. I'm using the adverts of Historex Agents as a reference, with all prices in GBP.

I'm looking for Historex ads from around 1985, 2000, 2005 and 2010.
    I hope you can help me to some pictures or scans.

Small update:
    So far I have indexed about 80 figures in different scales, from different brands. Oldest data is from 1970 (thanks Andrew), latest from today's Historex web page, so the we're talking about 45 years of figure history. An interesting picture is emerging, but really I need more data to confirm.

Thanks,
    Adrian
  11. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    As a boy of thirteen years (now 38 years ago) I pressed my nose against the shop window of the only toy and modelshop in the village I lived and dreamed of the most expensive model that was on display - an Airfix Ju 87b Stuka that was on sale for 55 Deutsche Mark - todays equivalent of about 27 Euros / 30 USD.
    For old times sake - a picture of the artwork that some of you might know or remember what I am talking about:D:
    AirfixStuka.jpg
    Currently this model is produced by Hornby - even with the old very nice boxart by Roy Cross - and offered for 95 Euros / 108 USD what would have made about 200 Deutsche Mark back then.

Well I am not an accountant but if a model that saw it`s first release about 40 years ago has increased it`s sales price within that time frame to about 350 percent of the initial price this can`t be related to inflation alone. The same boys that pressed their noses against the shop windows in 1977 still buy these goods I suppose and now their pocket money allows a heavier price tag.
    Have kept it to model planes so no feelings get hurt I hope - about the same increase of prices refers to figures of the excellent Multipose series and the Collectors series if they are on offer from the current Airfix-distributor Hornby - and I think that it is a fair comparison because these models are still unchanged - no additional costs for today`s masters or even boxarts have to be added - will follow your survey with interest, Adrian!

Cheers, Martin
    DaddyO likes this.
  12. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'll take a look for you Adrian

Martin - I remember building one of those! (Pretty sure it was never finished, but I remember painting the nose yellow and there were lots of oil stains and smoke marks on it. . . .was building model tanks around the same time and I suspect it showed):oops: Fantastic range those 24th scale models. . .

Cheers
    Paul
    Ferris and Martin64 like this.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Great!
    Just to avoid a misunderstanding: I mean the Historex Agents adverts, not just the Historex figures.
    I am trying to track Pegaso, Andrea, Verlinden, and some more.

Thanks!

Adrian
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian,
    I could photograph you some Historex Agent adverts, but these are not the years you are looking for, I have one from 1990 and the others range between 1994 and 1996.
    cheers
    Richie
    Ferris likes this.
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Richie, but those years I have covered already. Thanks for offering!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Martin,

Turns out there's several ways to calculate price changes, but this particular site looks at inflation correction: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
    Just try it with your numbers....you'll be surprised. ;-)

Cheers,
    Adrian
  17. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Adrian,
    thanks for the link - currency is USD and as a result of my internet research the value of 55 Deutsche Mark should have been around 23 USD in 1977. According to that calculator it should be 88,60 USD in 2014. So today´s price is just slightly more than this calculator is giving as a result.
    Yes - I am surprised:D - and I am still surprised when I look at my numbers - seems that somebody is stealing our money - I think I will never get behind this inflation thing. So you are my only hope;) .
    Cheers, Martin
    Ferris likes this.
  18. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Adrian,

Going through my grey army I have a Historex 6th Inniskilling Dragoon standard bearer Attention (unmounted) purchased, I am pretty sure, in the mid-late 1980's with a price tag of GBP 1.95, and two Almond Sculpture Figures (Black Watch and Guard Chasseurs a Cheval) purchased in 1987 each with a price tag of GBP 22.

I also have an old Historx price list for Historex figures dated 1st August 1974; all prices GBP
    Mounted figures 1.65
    Foot figures 0.80
    Cannon or Howitzer 2.40
    Limber 1.oo
    cannon, limber tean complete 8.20
    Caisson 3.00
    Caisson, team complete 8.00
    3 foot figures in on packet (same type, rank, position) 1.65
    New Series Historical figures. The pair 1.65
    4 Horse artillery team plus two drivers 5.40
    1 rank, 7 musicians 3.30
    Box set of tuileries Revuw (2 mounted 7 foot) 8.20
    Boxed set gun team 8.20
    Boxed set The emporer's concert 8.20
    Boxed set Friuedland )Cannon, limber, two horse team and driver, 7 foot, 1 mounted) 9.25
    3 artillery figures (743) 1.65
    Boxed set forge and Team 8.20

Also an old Historex price list around the same time (mid 1970's) of The Spirit of '76' by Superior 90mm models of the American Revolution ( e.g. 1712 Brunswick Dragoon and 1702 Continental Line Infantry) each costing GBP 6.50

Also an undated Beneito Figures brochure from a US seller, but might be dated as it advertises three new items SP/3 5th Bengal Cavalry, MD/2 Indian snake charmer and SP/2 Officer 18th Lancers. All 54mm kits costing USD9.00.

Hope they help with your project.

Cheers
    Chris
    Ferris likes this.
  19. Waterman Active Member

I would think that the reasoning behind this thread is that the manufacturers are making a killing at the expense of us poor modellers, and a fall in prices is what is wanted. On the other side of the coin, I bet a lot of us modellers are in better paid occupations than some manufacturers, and wouldn't swop places for all the tea in China. A hark back to my Service Days, when a Chinese Peasant in rags tried to sell me something at a ridiculous price, but still I would haggle him down or walk away. Then when I had secured it, I would have a big grin on my face and try to excuse my bad behaviour by saying, It's only a game. Not quite that bad for manufacturers I know, but if they are giving us the products and service we want, then why beat them down and deny them their bit of the cream topping. We are buying Art, the sculptors art. When Renoir or Constable sold his paintings, did they add up cost of canvas,plus paint,plus frame, add a couple of pounds labour and that's the price , I don't know how they got to that 11 million the other day. If its your hobby and you enjoy it, then expect to pay. I don't think there is any problem at all with prices, if there was we would not be stockpiling vast Grey Armies in our cupboards.
    Ferris likes this.
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Chris, thank you for that info. I'll take it up in my list.
    I am now mainly still looking for prices from the mid 80s and, more importantly around 2007/2010. When I get these gaps filled I am ready to share conclusions.

Hi Waterman,
    The idea behind this thread is simply to get an objective view of today's prices compared to those of yesterday. This is a regular subject of discussion, where the statement usually is that things have gotten very expensive. I have always doubted it and am now investing some time to have a decent, objective look. My starting point was exactly the same as yours, that prices are ok, and if they were really too high we wouldn't have a grey army. Nevertheless, that's just our particular view. Bottom line is to get to an objective conclusion we have to look at actual data. As much as I would welcome a halving of figure prices, I don't think the figure industrial complex is making a killing at our expense.
    Talking about data....you wouldn't happen to have some typical figure prices from around 2007-2010...? That's the main remaining gap I need to fill. Maybe you have some old mags with adverts for Pegaso, Andrea, Verlinden?? Would be much obliged.
    Cheers,
    Adrian
    theBaron likes this.