1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Preview :- Piper 1st Btn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 1900.

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by mick3272, Apr 4, 2019.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

That's a great shame Huw. But in all honesty is Folkestone big enough for both you and Alan:D Going on about your funny shaped ball game.
    All the best and take care Mick
    Huw63 likes this.
  2. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    The bust has duly arrived and is magnificent. Minimal prep and will be another quality Micks Mick.
    mick3272 and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

That's great to hear look forward to seeing your WIP on this

Nap
  4. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    As a piper myself, I would be remiss in not pointing out the naive depiction of the Irish two droned version of the Great Highland Bagpipe. The drone segments and projecting mounts are all wrong. This mars an otherwise nice piece and excellent subject.
  5. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Mike

Interesting ...what's needed to make the piece more accurate ?

Nap
  6. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for your comments Re the "Great Highland Bagpipes?"
    As a fellow Piper who has played both the two Drone Irish War Pipes & later the three Drone Irish / Highland Pipes we must beg to differ.
    Below is a picture given to Offo for guidance. In my opinion he is spot on.

[IMG]
    However you are entitled to your opinion which I shall take no notice of.

Mick
  7. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Mine also arrived Saturday morning, its a superb piece, facial details are excellent. cant wait to get some paint on him, big thumbs up to Mick and Pavol. (y)
    Nap and mick3272 like this.
  8. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mick, Respectfully the errors are blaring to anyone who is familiar with the actual construction . The depiction of a stand of pipes on this sculpt is naive, and seemingly the product of someone wholly unfamiliar with the function and proportions of the drones, the tuning pins and bass/tenor drone segments, and shape and location of the ferrules and projecting mounts. As well as the combing detail. This despite your assertions to the contrary.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Regretably I don't know one end of a bagpipe from the other , but would be interested in seeing a picture of the resin pipes with areas that might need some work

Nap
  10. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    The contemporary incarnation of the so-called Irish War Pipe is nothing more than a Scottish Great Highland Bagpipe sans one of the tenor drones. The chanter (pipe that the melody is played on) is also the same, unless the rather rarely used Henry Starck keyed chanter (made specifically to play the chromatic scale for playing Irish tunes) is utilized. The chanter in the sculpt is squat and short compared to the actual thing. It looks more like what we pipers call a Practice Chanter, used to learn the fingerings and practice tunes etc.

Beyond the improperly depicted movable segments of the drones, and tuning pins portrayed in the sculpt, There is an attempt to blend both button mounts and projecting mounts on the same stand of pipes. This isn't correct either. Additionally, both are located arbitrarily in the depiction. They are always located at the BASE of the tuning pins, not in the middle or top as found on this figure. Their actual purpose is to act as a sort of bumper for the sliding sections that are adjusted to tune the drones, and also to provide shock protection against bumping of the drones. Button mounts (as shown in the photo that Mick posted) are integrally turned with the drone wood itself, and are generally found on cheaper sets these days as an economy measure. Projecting mounts are attached separately of contrasting material (Ivory, simulated Ivory, contrasting wood etc), and turned to shape on a lathe along with the drones themselves. Ferrules are usually made of the same material as the projecting mounts, or of metal. They serve to prevent the drone and stock segments from splitting. These are not properly placed and depicted on the sculpt either.

Decorative combing is turned into drones, usually in the form of beaded and combed, or just flat combing lines. Neither is properly displayed on the drones. Although it would be present on a set played by a piper of this regiment, in that era.

For the uninitiated into the appearance, function, and nomenclature of these forms of bagpipe, a picture truly does paint a thousand words. So I will allow you to A/B the two images. Taking again into account that the type of pipes played by this regiment are essentially the Great Highland Bagpipe without one of the smaller tenor drones, i.e. one bass and one tenor:

[IMG][IMG]

I'm not attempting to stir trouble or detract from the figure unduly. However, as with anything as complex as a musical instrument, firearm etc. getting things right can be tricky. Those in the know will not be satisfied or fooled by an improperly rendered attempted depiction. This is every bit as important as getting the uniform and badge details correct. Especially when it plays such a fundamental role in the subject matter. Many wouldn't even know or care about the errors. To them they are just sticks with fiddlybob bits on them. But the same cavalier attitude could be said about getting the shade of a uniform or proportion of a headdress wrong as well. We SHOULD care about depicting it accurately.
  11. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    And yes, I play the pipes myself:

ipipipipipmm.,m.m.jpg
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mike

Thanks so much for all the information ...yes I am one of the initiated into the bits and pieces of the pipes so have learnt a lot and I am sure the details you have given will be of much use as reference to those that wish to work on the set provided

Look forward to seeing your SBS on the painting , I am getting more tempted by this piece with every update

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Mike S. likes this.