1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Preview: 19th Scale Crossbowman Bust for Frank Miniatures.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by carl reid, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For some strange and perverted reason! I would actually really quite like to see that! .. plus feathers of course. So there is no argument as regards this pieces identity!:LOL:

High Regards,

Mark
  2. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Apparently the Huron Brigade had a long and honourable association with the French army. they were at Poitiers and Agincourt. they got the hump and refused to co-operate when Minihahaha tried to lead them at the Siege of Orleans:(. But they did feel quite at home in the American Wars. They weren't at the battle of Patay because with all the other Indians around that would have been too confusing. They didn't much care for the Guillotine ( they had developed a taste for the Barbecue over the Joan of Arc affair) so went home in a HUFF.
    But in all their long association they never once took their helmets off, that would have shown them up to be Mohawks:woot:
    Another great bust Carl, best wishes, Gary.
    carl reid and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  3. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gary, ! That's the piece I was after! (y) ... Carl, ..get busy! :LOL:

Mark
    carl reid and garyhiggins like this.
  4. carl reid A Fixture

England
    I'm just kneading the Sculpey now Mark... LOL

Carl
    garyhiggins likes this.
  5. carl reid A Fixture

England
    In fact Gary rumour has it. The Huron never wore helmets at all. They just fashioned their hair into a rather dapper helmet shape.
    Appparently after the rather unseemly barbecue espisode, they hadn't the mind for War. They'd much rather eat and make love with their faces than fight. LOL

Carl
    garyhiggins likes this.
  6. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    AH HHHaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! that' s why they invented Brylcreem:LOL:
    carl reid likes this.
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic! ..Don't forget the MG42 ! or I will be highly disappointed!:(

However, this 'Crossbow Man', is such a great piece! .. I love it, great work Carl!(y) (y)

High Regards,

Mark.
    carl reid likes this.
  8. custer760 Well-Known Member

Love it Muckaaa just how Frank wanted it.....Superbe!!!!! Cant wait to get one painted up.
    Just sent you details of the next Bust for Frank so get your Finger out,we expect it done by Friday!!! ;-)
    Cheers bud
    Pete
    carl reid likes this.
  9. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi Muckaaaa!

Glad you like him Pete.

I'll have a look at my emails later.
    I hope you ain't sent me anymore of you in mankini....
    LOL!

Carl
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice mate, not sure of the arm done like that but it's definitely a bold move on your part, good luck
    Steve
    carl reid likes this.
  11. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the info again great work
    carl reid likes this.
  12. carl reid A Fixture

England
    I must admit, it is a departure from the norm Steve, and I guess it may not appeal to the traditionalists As such.
    But I remember the hoo haa surrounding the half figure bust 20 + years ago, and look how big of a market share they have now. But it will always be different strokes for different folks.

I think the more diverse and varied the choices, the more the consumer embraces in the end. Sometimes it takes a wee while for the market to accept something different.

I'm looking forward to seeing him painted.

Carl
    Wings5797 and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Couldn't agree more Carl nice to see a change for sure
    Steve
    carl reid likes this.
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Carl

Can appreciate your artistry & pushing the boundaries here :)
    Negative space is quickly filled by the eye, strangely appealing though perhaps something to get used to.
    Neat to see this one, recall your musicians - aren't they on PF somewhere?

Came across this one too which takes even liberties with our imagination.
    But it works just like your crossbowman does.

Thanks for challenging our status quo.

Stay safe
    Mike
    image.jpg
  15. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Thanks Mike!

The Saxophonist is on here somewhere.

I remember do a few some years ago, the piece was broken down into peculiar sections. It was then set up with a space between them of about an inch or so. The piece only made sense as you rotated it, and viewed from a certain angle. It sounds very strange, but worked really well.

Carl
    Mike - The Kiwi and garyhiggins like this.
  16. Mark S Guest

I'm afraid it doesn't work for me........I absolutely love the piece but when it becomes mine I'll be filling in the spaces.
    But that's just my own preference....if it wasn't the missing funny bones, I'd find something else to change, that's just how I look at every new piece.
    I've already thought that some Medieval funny bone round disc armour would look good.

P.S. That's some very good mailarmour indeed.
    carl reid likes this.
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    carl reid likes this.
  18. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Cheers Mark!

I can understand your preferences mate.
    When you bring a new concept to the table you expect opinions to be divided. I guess that comes with gently nudging the boundaries.
    But you're right, its a very simple conversion to add the elbows. Or maybe even cut the piece down and create a traditional bust. Either is very simple to do.

Carl
    Mark S likes this.
  19. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Cheers Carl!

Carl
  20. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Superb, I love the way this has been sculpted. Will look great painted and works for me :)
    You really capture that Indian look :)
    Best wishes
    Gra
    carl reid likes this.