1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Preview 10th Tennessee, Irish Brigade. 1:9th bust

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by carl reid, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Vitalino A Fixture

Hello

I think all is correct !!

Vitalino
    carl reid likes this.
  2. faberdp61 Member

Italy
    Grat, Carl! And green is it! But...what green? As the background of the flag? I don't think. It should be light green.
    I have found some pictures on line that should confirm this. I also found a picture that represents the Colonel Randal McGavock (Courtesy of Jerry McWilliams, SouthernCedarsGallery.com) at the head of the Irish troops.
    The image of the flag that you've posted, like mine, should confirm that the color is light green. What do you think about?
    Colonel Randal McGavock.jpg
    mcgov.jpg
    Below are some links where you can find some flag ...
    http://www.loeser.us/flags/civil.html
    http://www.anyflag.com/history/
    http://www.regtqm.com/category-s/57.htm
    http://www.sligoheritage.com/archconfedirish.htm

I am ready to paint, and you?
    Fabrizio
    napoleonpeart and carl reid like this.
  3. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    That is outstanding Carl. Super piece of work.

Alex.
    carl reid likes this.
  4. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Many thanks Alex! Glad you like him buddy!

Carl
  5. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi Fabrizio,

Going by the Troiani painting, I would say the same green as the flag.

Carl
  6. moz A Fixture

England
    I`d say Emerald green that's the colour most associated with Ireland and all things irsih, except Guiness. and Rangers.

1381068797-01696200.jpg
  7. trooper Member

United-States
    All I want to know Carl, when is this great piece of sculpting coming out! I assume it will be Stromtrooper.
  8. faberdp61 Member

Italy
    Hello guys, I contacted Don Troiani to remove any doubt in the discussion. That's what Don said to me:
    "Fabrizio, I worked from photos of the original flag (very faded) and the notes and drawings made by the late Confederate flag expert Howard Madaus who examined it in person , and measured it. His notes say: Field (obverse ) yellow (originally green) edged on three sides with yellow fringe(not gold) . Material :silk with silk fringe. Harp gold with vines of green shamrocks intertwined, painted. Scrolls : color of the field edged in maroon 1/16" wide painted. Lettering gold block letters 2" high with green shadow, low and right painted. Basically, the scroll /cartouche is the same color as the rest of the flag.The exact shade of green is unknown and you can see many of the recent renderings of the flag are somewhat erroneous. The Michael Gnatick version is pretty close , I think I shared my information with him at the time. I hope this is helpful to you."
    What do you say, is not it wonderful that Don Troiani has helped me so quickly? Great Don!
    Fabrizio
  9. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Not sure of the launch date yet. But I'm sure Stu will inform you when he is ready, and by which company!

Cheers
    Carl
  10. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Great news Fabrizio!

That pretty much clears up any uncertainty, and confirmed what we thought! I would say the green is Emerald Green, the same as Moz posted!
    You just have to wait for the piece now buddy....:)

Carl
  11. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl , superb sculpting and a great choice of subject from Stu. (y)(y)

Cheers Ken
    carl reid likes this.
  12. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Cheets Ken!

Carl
  13. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Fabrizio! It is just as Moz is saying. The emerald green in Ireland is so often called "Shamrock Green": It's the color of Ireland itself :). Soccer, Rugby, Air Force ... whatever you may think The moment you visit this fantastic land you will see Shamrocks a little bit everywhere! :)

According to legend, St. Patrick used it as a metaphor to represent the Christian Trinity. Therefore the meaning of the Shamrock to Irish chaps.

But, you're not going to paint a flag in such a striking green ... green fades quite fast in tissue.

I located two colors of other regiments. Almost 150 years old, bleached, but the original color intention is perceptible. I am using the vocabulary "perceptible" because in these times of manual dying it is frankly impossible to find identical colors in two different tissue rolls.

The 17th Wisconsin Irish Brigade:

[IMG]

And the 1862 'Tiffany' Color of the 69th New York

[IMG]

You have to imagine the color without an annoying flash hitting it ... but differences, weathering, fading and age apart, the Irish Shamrock stands! :hilarious:

Best for last: Here's a great site of surviving American Civil War flags:

http://www.pinterest.com/judah55/civil-war-union-battle-flags/

Regarding the miniature: It is another fantastic story created by the gifted Carl Reid! Not only the face is again famine and loaded with character, the flag itself is freaking alive! The folds are incredibly realistic and really integrate marvelously well with the chap! It's going to create serious impact this year, because not only the sculpture is top notch, the uniform composition is brilliantly colored too. Can't wait to see one prototype finished! :)
  14. faberdp61 Member

Italy
    Thanks Nuno, I will follow your comments and of the other members of the forum. I think it will be a very hard paint job and I hope to be as good as the work of sculpture. I have already contacted the Italian retailer to find out when you get the bust.
    Great link!
    I'm trying to convince Don Troiani that the flag must be painted with small differences of light on the background color...
    Fabrizio
  15. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Carl, An incredible piece, will definitely be getting this one. After reading some of the posts, especially about the flag, here is my opinion. One look at this reb's war weary face, torn and tattered uniform and equipment, I don't think the flag would be in any better shape. I understand the need to make busts/figures, uniforms and equipment, and in this case, the flag, as authentic and accurate in both design, and the colors used on them. It would seem to me this flag, would be just as war torn, and ravaged, and gone through as many hardships, as the man carrying it. Weather, and battlefield conditions, would play a big part in its appearance. The way Carl has portrayed this soldier, I think the flag should look the same way. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
    carl reid likes this.
  16. faberdp61 Member

Italy
    Hello friends, I am attaching another comment useful for painting that sent me Don Troiani. I think He has read the discussion, and he wants to give us the right comments to paint the bust.

"Keep in mind this flag was not used much (if at all), and Most Likely not in battle I would be in good condition"...DT wrote.

Now things get very difficult ... The bearer, tired, ragged and exhausted that leads to safety from the fumes of the battle flag, immaculate and clean.
    We must work on the strong contrasts between the sergeant and the flag..."when the going gets tough, the tough get ...paint"!

Fabrizio
  17. carl reid A Fixture

England
    That's a very interesting piece of information Fabrizio!

I think that will look great, a clean flag carried by a campaign burdened figure. a great contrast indeed!

Carl
    housecarl likes this.
  18. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi

I am now taking advance orders for this superb bust.

Please contact me at storm-troopers@hotmail.co.uk if you are interested.

Advance orders will be out soon and release will be early May hopefully

Cheers

Stuart

Attached Files:

carl reid, captnenglish and debrito like this.
  19. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Carl
    What a cracking bust so much detail wonderful sculpting this would fit into any exhibition of any of the ACW museums in the United States ,fantastic job .
    Cheers Chris
    carl reid likes this.
  20. Noel Walker Active Member

I agree with you Carl, DT is very precise in his research
    carl reid likes this.