1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Preserving plants

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by John Long, Oct 29, 2003.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Somewhere years ago I heard of a formula including glycerine that woulp preserve dried roots, leaves and such. Do any of you guys know what this could be and where to get the supplies.
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Glycerine will do the trick and you can pick it up at the drug store. It is also good for preserving your brushes.
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    WHat do you do, just dunk it for couple of hours?
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I would like to know how it can help brushes.......if you mean paint brushes. Good ones are getting expensive.

Guy (y)
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I would use a misting spray. You can pick up a misting bottle at Hobby Lobby for about two bucks. You can dilute the glycerine with water about 50-50 and just spray it on. Might take a couple of passes if the vegetation is really dry. I guess you could airbrush it too.
  6. btavis Active Member

United-States
    What I do is after cleaning the brush is to dip it in glycerine and reform the point. The glycerine will keep it in shape (glycerine does not dry out the brush hairs like water does) until you are ready to use it again. If you are painting with acrylics rinse the brush out first because glycerine can add some gloss to the paint. It can be an ingredient in water colors along with gum arabic.
  7. MSzwarc New Member

I've used a 50/50 glycerine/water solution to preserve plants and lichen for use in groundwork. The fresh plant matter or lichen is soaked in the solution for about 2 weeks, and then removed and placed on paper towels for several days to absorb the excess glyerine solution. The result is supple and realistic, although the color of the original material may change during the treatment. For example, much of my lichen is gold or orange instead of the original pale grey-green. Greenery may turn dark black-green or bronze in color. I expect the plants could be airbrushed with watercolors (glycerine is an ingredient in watercolors), or possibly acrylics, but I haven't yet tried this. I understand that plant matter treated this way is quite long-lasting, but I've only been doing it for a little over a year. The first stuff I preserved this way is still supple and springy, although some of the plants have faded a little in color.

Mike Szwarc