1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Preparing bottles of acrylic mixtures

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by fermatgom, Feb 2, 2016.

1. fermatgom Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hi all,

I would like to prepare a custom mixture for base flesh using three colors (Brown sand, english unif, and bermillion).
    I want to prepare a small bottle (17 ml) with enough quantity for some time. How should I prepare it? Should I mix directly the colors (in the required proportion) and well close the bottle? Will it be enough? Or should I add something like thinner medium?
    My fear is that the mixture will dry faster than a standard bottle of paint.

Thanks for your tips!!!
  2. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    I would fill half the bottle with the undiluted custom mixture than add half water since we always dilute those paints at least 1:1 anyway. But I would use distilled water of course.
    fermatgom likes this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

As long as the paints you are mixing have been properly mixed themselves, I think the mixture should have exactly the same consistency as the seperate paints.
    You can always add a bit of extra water, or Vallejo medium to make it slightly thinner if you want.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    fermatgom likes this.
  4. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

I did it few years ago, and added about 1/4 of destilated water. I felt the impression it was losing water with time, but was for a big proyect and the bottled was empty in six or seven months. Never did it again.
    fermatgom likes this.
  5. fermatgom Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thank you guys! Maybe I will try adding some medium instead of water or maybe a couple of drops of glaze medium, to prevent drying...