1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Preparation of Resin Figures for Painting

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by krom1415, Aug 21, 2008.

1. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Hope it is alright to post this, I thought we could do a how to thread, and help me at the same time :D I can delete the bad bits and replace with all your wise tips.

Removing the excess resin;
    I have used a pair of snippers for cutting wire etc to get the worsed off then used a scalpel, and finally wet & dry 400 grade sandpaper, I know I should finish with 600, but didn't have any. All went well no problems. Have I done anything wrong so far :confused: After this I gave all parts a good wash in washing up liquid to get rid of the releasing agent.

Filling air bubbles;
    I used pro create putty, as I used it on the base as well, i've heard silver miliput is good too.

Preping for spraying the primer;
    I sanded the rough bits a filler smooth, and gave all the separate parts a coat of GW Skull White Primer, (after covering the connection areas with blue tack, so when it came to glueing they wouldn't be covered in paint) this showed even more areas that needed sanding. One further light coat to cover all the resin.

Painting;
    As there is so much detailing in awkward areas, I decided to keep all the parts separate and assemble after the main hard to get painting areas were done.

Please add your tips on how to do it properly, all tips much appreciated :D
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I can see no shortcomings. Everything is almost like i do.
    When you use metalfigures in the future, or heavy resin pinning is needed.

Marc
  3. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Thats a good point, cheers megroot, I thought of pinning him to the base, but was a bit lazy and glued and filled around his boots
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Always pin the figures to the base and glue with two part epoxy glue and they will never come loose in transport. Something I was told and also found out with experience.
    Cheers
    John
  5. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks John, I think I will drill up into his feet from the base now before I mount him on a plinth:D