1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Preparation of resin figures before priming and painting

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by TERRYSOMME1916, Feb 9, 2017.

1. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was wondering if there are any tips regarding the general cleaning up and filling of a resin figure before applying the primer.
    Apart from removing the casting taps and lines from a figure I also tend to cut the resin away from areas where a cloak would lay over a breast plate, where the sides of a helmet meet the face etc in order to create deeper recesses, I would do this with a scalpel, files and emery paper but the process always leaves a roughness that shows up after the primer has been applied.
    Because some of the recesses are deep and very narrow it can be difficult to get filler in, I have been using Milliput adding small crumb size bits, pressing these in with the point of the scalpel and then using a damp paintbrush to smooth the filler over the roughness.
    Does anyone know of a thickish liquid filler that can be brushed over gaps and rough areas that can be smooth over with a brush and water to give a finished fill. (Please dont say Liquid Green Stuff)
    TERRY
  2. hypertex Active Member

United-States
    Try Aves FixIt Paste. It's a two part epoxy and smells just like Apoxie Sculpt, but it has the consistency of cake batter. When I smooth it with water, it dries glossy in thin coats, so I know it's smooth. I have the 1 fl oz size; it comes in tubes instead of tubs, easier to use and reasonably priced.

https://www.avesstudio.com/fixit-category/fixit-paste
  3. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers my friend sounds like it would do the trick, just need to track it down from a UK supplier, the only one I found so far is out of stock.
    TERRY
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use Mr Surfacer 500 - a thick paint/primer which can be brushed on. Cellulose based, it dries quickly and can be sanded back and built up in layers, as needed.(y)
  5. Trex Well-Known Member

Mr surfacer can do the job, but it shrinks and requires additional applications if used as a filler.
    Mr Hobby also produces "Mr Dissolved Putty" which compared to Mr Surfacer, is more oriented towards filling than priming.

[IMG]

It's brush applied, enters small seams and you can remove excess with a tissue immediately after application.
    It's very easy to sand and shrinks much less than Mr surfacer, usually there's no need for a second application.

Hope this helps. :)
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ive not found that Mr Surfacer shrinks at all - It wont fill large gaps, but to smooth out rough areas it's ideal, IMO - especially for blending in new areas of putty(y)
  7. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you folks, out of your suggestions I have managed to source and order Mr Dissolved Putty from Amazon UK so it should be with me next week and I will give it a go on my latest bust Nuts Planets Roman Aquilla.
    Anyone know what thinner is used with this product to smooth out and clean brushes etc.
    TERRY
  8. Trex Well-Known Member

It's lacquer based so you can use any cellulose thinner.
  9. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Spot on guys just so happens I have gallons of it, thanks for the tips.
    TERRY
  10. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Games Workshop do a product called 'Liquid green stuff'. Its water soluble, and available in the UK. £3.40 a jar
    BR
    Ian
  11. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ian thanks for your input, I have tried the Liquid Green Stuff but dont really like it although I was using it last night and will still use it until I get this Mr Dissovled Putty stuff, I like the sound of that, ordered it of Amazon a couple of hours ago and it already been dispatched so I will give it ago and post the results on this thread to give others the info.
    TERRY
    chailey and tock24 like this.