1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Precision Ice and Snow

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Jan 16, 2016.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers for comments Mick (y).....remind me in 6 months mate ;)

Ron
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the review, Ron! Very nice groundwork and it looks like the snow stuff is a success! Could you estimate the cost to use it vs. some comparable snow and ice products?

All the best,
    Dan
  3. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dan....glad to do review/SBS....love doing groundwork.....and this adds another dimension :)
    As far as cost goes....Kit was £26 inc postage...you get 2 x 115g bottles of powder (Krycell)...I x 15ml bottle of wash and 1 x medical grade sieve....
    As to usage...groundwork is 8 inches x 5 inches with the outlet being 6 inches high....it had 6 coats overall...and 2 more coats on selected areas...this used up approx a quarter of one bottle of powder...very economical in my book (y)
    Hope this helps mate.

Regards

Ron
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As the final update for now....until I start on the dreadnought....I have created the 'melted' area of snow at the bottom of the outlet. Prior to applying the 'snow' I had painted the area with Modelmates 'Green Verdi Gris'.
    To achieve the 'melted' appearance I used Johnsons Klear. This was applied with a small brush and allowed to run down over the snow in the chosen area. This activates the hairspray....allowing the snow to be removed....revealing the colour beneath! :sneaky:

25.jpg 26.jpg

Have gone as far as I can with this piece for now. Next stage will be the 'dreadnought itself!
    From a personal perspective...I have enjoyed working with this product immensely.
    It is very easy to use...economical in use...and...IMHO...gives a first class result (y)

Ron
    John Bowery likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Ron. (y) This is looking great.

Can you tell us in reality how messy this stuff is to work with? . As it seems to require a extensive work area.

Regards.

Mark.
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Mark :)
    In all honesty...I was very pleased with how 'controllable' this stuff is....it doesn't 'fly' like most powders....is non-invasive in that it is easily removed from any surface...
    In reality...I worked in area roughly A3 (420 mm x 210 mm)....so....IMHO....very tidy to use (y).....as long as you don't sneeze :LOL:
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As promised, here are the final shots of this project. A big change from my usual subject :wideyed:
    Thoroughly enjoyed using the snow, along with rust and mud effects etc. (y)

IMG_0650.jpg IMG_0651.jpg IMG_0652.jpg IMG_0655.jpg IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0664.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0672.jpg IMG_0673.jpg

Let me know what you think.......

Ron
  8. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work all round, I won some crushed glass snow from pk pro last year and was wondering how to fix it, though I suppose hair spray won't cut it!
  9. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ron,
    I love your SBS's and this one is top rate!! Well written, well photo'd and a great description!

Thanks,

Kevin D.
  10. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A fantastic use of this product, it has worked out really well. Great work. (y) Clearly a tad difficult to photograph..

Regards,

Mark.
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I would suggest something stronger for the crushed glass.....probably 'Spray mount' from 3M.....or clear lacquer as suggested in the instructions for the snow and ice :)

Cheers

Ron
    kenshin393 likes this.
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin....glad you enjoyed it mate....makes it worth doing (y)

Ron
  13. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi mate....many thanks for your support as usual....glad you like the end result :).....more than a 'tad'.....a real bitch...but then they were taken with an iPhone :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ron
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Impressive result Ron.(y)
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one mate...much appreciated :D
  16. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    What a great end result mate.(y)
    Everything works beautifully and the weathering and wear on the Dreadnought is just right.
    Particularly like the way you've used the heat discolouration to relieve the overall 'whiteness'
    Cheers
    Derek
  17. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Del :)....have to say I am pleased with it...a lot of fun to do...and new techniques to abuse :LOL:....glad you approve of the heat effect....just the sort of reaction I hoped for (y)

Cheers

Ron
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Great results and SBS. Thanks for all the information.
    Cheers
    John
  19. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your very welcome John....glad you enjoyed it mate :)

Ron
  20. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Ron. That looks great and I think I will give that snow a try. Thanks for the SBS