1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Praetorian Tribune, Pegaso 200mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony neat project here mate & enjoyoying the thread.

Only one thing all your images seem to be coming thru rotated clockwise 90o so the appear to be lying on their side.
    Makes it difficult to study them properly.

Is this my view or are others having same problem?

Hope it can be resolved so it's possible to appreciate this work

Stay safe

Mike
  2. Mark S Guest

I'm getting them the right way up, Mike.
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some very brave close ups there Tony, great work on the eyes .

Ron
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks gents,

Mike, I posted them the right way up but if you view them on an iphone or tablet they may be rotated 90 degrees.
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Lovely work so far Tony!
    Just curious, because of the size of this one: do you upscale your brushes as well?
    Seems a good size to try out an airbrush on his clothing? For even finish and speed. Just a thought.
    Am following this with pleasure.

Adrian
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    I get the same thing on my iPad, Mike. I've taken to viewing all Tony's threads lying down sideways.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Adrian,

I'm planning to use an airbrush on the cloak. Then I will detail the cloak with a brush to bring out some of the texture and accentuate the highlights and deepen the shadows..

The rest of the figure I will paint with brushes as usual.
  8. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    The painting of the face is superb and I know that doing it in this scale and at this (really) high level requires very advanced skills.
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    In preparation for airbrushing the cloak, last night I applied the mid shadow tone for the red cloak by brush. Hopefully this will make sense once the airbrushing is done and save me some time and fiddling about. I'm no expert on airbrushing, so tonight I'm visiting a mate who is an AFV modeller and
    getting him to help me mask and spray the red colour. IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1207.JPG
    Krest063, Mark S, NickM and 1 other person like this.
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good Tony!(y)

Joe
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Looks as though he's just mopped up after doing someone in!!!!!!!! I can see where you are going with this, be interesting how it turns out
    Ben
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony, I like your progress so far,I saw this at euro and it's an awesome piece,I'm going to really look forward to seeing yours finished and how you handle the reds :)
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
  14. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    love the red ! can't wait to see the cloak done :)
  15. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    So far so good! Following the work ;)

Regards
    Pedro
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys. My experiment with airbrushing Josonya acrylics was partially successful, although if I'm honest the results aren't as good as I expected. The darker shades that I hand painted on first show through the lighter colours that I airbrushed. Needs a lot of blending and feathering before I'm comfortable adding the oil washes. Must put the figure on a painting base now.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    OK, figure mounted on a base and the work of improving the blending and transitions on the cloak continues. It's starting to look a bit smoother now, after many, many hours of carefull blending. Last night I painted a burnt umber undercoat over the greaves and muscled cuirass (chest armour) which will then be painted bronze. The brown undercoat will hopefully give a bit more depth to the bronze.
    IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1216.JPG
    Tecumsea, Aveleira, Wings5797 and 2 others like this.
  18. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    stunning reds Tony, this is really starting to come together now. Keep up the good work!
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Superb progress Tony,
    This is class painting fella, really good skills you have Mate.
    Press on
    Keith
  20. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Good progress Tony! I'm enjoying seeing this figure in
    progress.

Regards
    Pedro