1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Praetorian Tribune, Pegaso 200mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Great stuff :) Keeping tabs on this one.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Slow progress at this stage. Concentrating on getting some smooth transitions between the base colours and highlights on the face.

Started painting the eyes last night. Not finished yet.

I've applied a wash of oils over the skin which has brought out some of the deeper tones in the base colour which I was hoping for, and added some harmony to the highlights.

Unfortunately much of the blending on the face will be covered up when the cheek guards for the helmet are added, but I'll know they are there!!

As always any suggestions and/ or critique is welcomed.
    IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1191.JPG
    Redcap, pmfs, Wings5797 and 7 others like this.
  3. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Big scales ar trciky, but you are clearly coping with this mate.
    Any criticism at this point would be too nit-picky for words. I'd strongly consider 5 O'Clock shadow on him though, and I'd be constantly checking & re-checking to see what he looked like with the cheek guards on.
    Otherwise - a super job there.
  4. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    The skin tones are looking great so far, mate. I tend to agree about the 5 O'Clock shadow, but perhaps you just haven't got to that yet. This will be one impressive Roman to add to your legion.

Hope you're doing well, mate! Maybe see you at the club in a couple of weeks.
    Cheers
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great start Tony, always enjoy following your SBS 's(y)

Cheers Ken
  6. Mark S Guest

Looking very good Tony....This will no doubt be a very impressive piece when finished.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Thanks again for your comments. I started work on the 5 O'clock shadow using a combination of prussian blue and Burnt Sienna oil washes and stiple of pastel chalk. I don't want to overdo the effect so I'm being very patient and taking in in small steps so far.

Still working on the eyes and the skin tones, and base coating the off white colour for the tunic.

IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1201.JPG IMG_1202.JPG
  8. Krest063 Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Very beautiful!'m Following with great interest the process!
  9. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks magnificent!!!!
    The other 200mm Roman that I know so far was from Jaguar few yrs ago depicting ( I think ) Russell Crow as roman general but this one is a true piece of art!
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    That face is great, love the eyes, I first thought that were a bit too big, but having another look, now I don't think so.
    Great stuff
    Ben
  11. swralph A Fixture

looking great
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Great start ...

Alexandros
  13. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Need to put spotlight on eyes...

Αlex
  14. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work on a superb figure Tony.
    I really like the progress on the face, colour mixes are spot on and the blemishes are a nice touch.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    A winner for sure Tony. Great flesh tones.(y)
    I noticed a great improvment in the photos.

Pedro.
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive Tony.
    Carl.(y)
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys,

I'm striving to get a bit more progress done on this figure, but I keep finding excuses not to.:eek:

Last night I fixed the cheek guards to the helmet and started base coating the plumes. Clearly the plumes are a nightmare and will get worse when it comes to highlighting and shading:cry: , but for now I'm just trying to get an even consistent base coat and ensure I don't leave any primer showing.:facepalm:

Still need to fix up the catchlight in the right eye - a bit too much white I think:oops: . Some more facial detailing around the mouth and the eyes to be done yet and of course the leather tie to draw the cheek guards together which sits under the chin.
    IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1205.JPG
    Tarracus, Recon, Wings5797 and 5 others like this.
  18. Mark S Guest

Tony, I just noticed in that last photo that you haven't yet included the nostril hair and you've missed a couple of skin pores and some bacteria. I'm sure you'll fix that later.....well done mate...:D
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Tony, your figure painting has moved to a whole new level, mate. The work you are turning out now is just brilliant - well done!
  20. Edorta A Fixture

Spain