1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Posting To Italy- Problems And Advice

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Gra30, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi all,
    I would be very interested on some feedback from those who post to Italy from the UK and equally from Italy.
    I have been fortunate, touch wood that my parcels so far have arrived, with the exception of 2 recently to the same destination in Italy. The first did not arrive and neither did the replacement, I posted again today but uk postal service only offer tracked within the uk. To ensure the customer got their figures I have now booked a courier to ensure delivery, a big hit of £22 for £50 worth of figures but in this instance I wanted to make sure the customer got what they had paid for.
    With the loss of the previous 2 parcels it obviously gets expensive and insurance only covers value of goods to me before sale.
    As a new business advice would be welcome or is there a better option to post.
    I really don't want to stop posting to Italy especially as it has such a renowned modelling community.
    Best wishes
    Gra
  2. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Gra,

we ship quite a bit to Italy and have only suffered a few damaged parts but no total losses. We do have a carrier we use and we get discounted rates as we have an account with them but they can still work out expensive once you get to the 2 or 3kg range but may be ok for smaller packages.

We have used these as well.;

http://www.transglobal.org.uk

They use all the main carriers but you can get pretty good deals.

If you want to know any more feel free to PM me or give me a call, I'll be in the office all day today.

Cheers
  3. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Jon, I will give you a bell this aft mate.
    The parcel was only 1kg max so hopefully this may be good for me.
    Thanks mate
    Gra
  4. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Graham - you can claim full compensation from Royal Mail for lost items, especially if they were Signed For. If you cover the full value when you pay the postage, then Royal Mail compensation should cover the said amount. To track an item in Italy, you would need to go here: http://www.poste.it/online/dovequando/start.do?subaction=paccocelereinternazionale. If necessary, ask the customer to track and trace. We have used Poste Italiane to track delayed shipments and you can also contact their customer services, and we have always managed to track the parcels accordingly once customer services get involved. There are several shipping options to go with and you need to shop around for courier services as there are so many and all offering very competitive rates.
    Cheers,
    Celine
  5. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Graham

I have found the Italian postal service to be a bit slow at times. I have had a few parcels go missing that have been sent over to me but never lost one going out from the UK. I recently sent two painted pieces over to a collector and used FedEx Worldwide without any issues.

I use parcel2go.com for all my courier needs, all done online and you can choose which service to use and they pick up next day from your house.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  6. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Cheers Tommi, it is good to get the feedback and all help is really appreciated, I looked on Jons link and it is about the same. I used parcels2go this time and it was £22 for a 1kg parcel 15cmx7x9 :-0

I think the courier option is the best without doubt especially as Royal Mail only track uk side even if signed for, my only dilemma is the cost for 1 or 2 figures, or take the hit first time round and try Royal Mail and hope.
    It's a tricky one as if the first go missing it the cost of the kit virtually in courier alone.
    thanks to you both for the responses and so quick :)
  7. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Celine, just reading your thread now.
    When I got the paperwork from royal mail fir the previous 2 it says can only claim the value cost to produce. I declared both under £50 so thought covered until read the forms. I am reading you thread properly now, thank you and best wishes
  8. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Celine, does that link work Italian side if I use royal mail. This parcel they said would be £8.15 I think but had no way of tracking once left the country, if that link applies for Royal Mail BRILLIANT :))) thank you
  9. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thank you all for your help :)
  10. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have posted lots of stuff to Italy via eBay sales for a number of years now (not tracked or registered service) and never had a problem at all. I have a had a couple of items allegedly undelivered in South America but that's about it; which is not bad for about 300+ worldwide overseas sales. From personal experience, I am not too sure why Italy as a EU country to post items to seems to get a bad reputation but that said, it seems to be a frequent one on the 'exemptions' listing of many sellers so perhaps others have had different experiences? That said, our fellow hobbyists overseas can do little about their national postal service anymore than we could here in the UK were criticism to be levelled at Royal Mail !

Gary
  11. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Gary, I agree that it is not the customers fault and only going by what I was told at the post office, they also gave that reason for not being able to track once left uk but hopefully Celines link may help me.
    As said I don't want to have to charge courier costs each time, maybe this has just been an unlucky one but after 2 non deliveries it got me a bit concerned and hence the courier this time to make sure it arrived this time.
    I will continue as is and see what happens in the future.
    Best wishes
    Gra
  12. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I also use www.parcel2go.co.uk for parcels to Italy, this website is an intermediary one for several courier companies and I generally choose TNT. They collect on one day and I've know them to deliver next day.

The downside is that TNT state that they will only collect from a business address (not residential) but a friend of mine who is a senior manager at TNT tells me that lots of people ignore this and the parcels still get collected.

Having said that, I still use Royal Mail international signed for airmail and haven't had a problem, but as Steve rightly points out this is insured - however, you need to be aware that goods are insured at the cost price for the goods (as opposed to the sell price) which is something to bear in mind.

In terms of labelling, it is always worth printing a label to avoid any misinterpretation of handwriting and to make the label as large as possible.

I have sent hundreds of parcels to Italy without any problem at all and have found the Italian people to be very friendly.
  13. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi,
    I have had TNT collect before from home with other items and the parcels2go prices do range, the cheapest was the £22.
    Thanks for the feedback, as said I think I have been unlucky this time.
    International signed for seems the way ahead I think and time will tell, the price before sale is what Royal Mail also told me.
    I certainly have no gripes with the Italian postal service or customers other than this as this has been my first instance and things happen.
    All the labels were printed so fingers crossed :))
    Best wishes
  14. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    I had been sending figures for some months and have had no problems with the parcels to Italy.
    In just one ocassion a parcel was a bit slow, but I tracked it through Correos (Spain). The parcel was three days in London before it reached Southampton.
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gra,

I also discovered this week from reading the Royal Mail claim form that you can only recover the cost of manufacture rather than retail cost, its different for manufacturers as apposed to retailers like El Grecos situation for e.g.
    Only real benefit of claiming is you will get your postal charges back and whatever you submit as manufacturing cost not sure what if any proof they would need of this.

All the best

Steve
  16. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    When presenting a claim for compensation to Royal Mail, we generally present a copy of the sales receipt sent to the customer + postage costs incurred. Generally we receive whatever we claim for. The Poste Italiane site is handy so that you can ask the customer to follow up on their parcel. There's a free phone number which Italians can call to follow up on their parcel. Royal Mail will only track up to the UK but if you persist, especially with customer services, they should have tracking details of whether the parcel reached Italy, etc.
  17. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Steve, yes that is what I though as manufacturing figures will change the prices submitted.
    Thank you Celine, the tracking part is certainly useful as that gives me another direction to follow.
    I also spoke with another manufacturer and he has urged me to make a claim for the lost figures, even though only costs it may flag up any issues and prevent future loses if looked into, especially if there is a pattern.
    Best wishes
  18. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    The Royal Mail position is an interesting one and might not stand up in court if someone had the finance or will to challenge them. It has been a subject of much discussion in the Antique business where a dealer is forced to sacrifice his profit when making a claim, often substantial sums of money are involved. In my opinion something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it so that (the selling price) then becomes it's true value at that moment in time, conveniently Royal Mail choose to see it in a way which is very much to their advantage.
    My personal experience of posting to Italy has been positive but I insist that buyers pay for tracking-it gives me peace of mind and so far nothing has gone missing.

Keith
  19. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Keith, I suppose if we included the cost of the master, rubber and resin, especially if only a few had been sold in a run the price submitted could be quite high. ie divide master price and other materials by number sold= price. I wonder what Royal Mail would say to a claim submitted more than price being sold :)) in theory the is no guarantee of future sales and that would be the true manufacturing cost at that time.
    But then again that is another minefield altogether, just clutching at straws but interesting.
  20. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    have lost a few posting from the USA...due to the nature of the items, it was not random but someone opening the parcel and liking the contents.