1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Poste Militaire's Mamluk

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by rej, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ray,

WOW!! on that border!

Joe
  2. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    This is an overhead shot of the terrain and I apologise for not having shot a couple of side shots before I painted the whole thing :( ..... sorry guys........

It is a piece/pieces of cork bark, with added vegitation and shrubs........ I'll shoot some pics of the painted terrain soon..........

Attached Files:

3. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: You were already good before WE, now............. :eek: . Ray, youv'e taken your ability to another level! I see the WE lessons have had a much more positive effect on you than me. Regardless of when this piece is finished, it'll be your best (y) .

Jim Patrick
  4. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey my Good Buddy ;) .........thanks Joe

Well its not as hard as it may seem because after a lot of brainstorming as to how should I do it, I came up with this idea........I took an old flared brush, cut the bristles with a new surgical blade so that I would get a clean cut, dipped it in paint and litterally dabbed that pattern on..........ok I retouched it a bit with a pointed brush (the one I'm using to paint), but the actual design is really a "mess"........this idea occured to me when I remembered that during WWII, the Japanese applied camouflage using hand bundles of weeds on some of their aircraft :eek:

Take Care,

Ray.
  5. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Roc, amico mio thanks so much :)

The helmet was done like this........... Mars Black (W&N oils) was applied and the excess brushed off.........than while it was still wet, I made that sort of etched design with a burnishing tool made from a hypodermic needle as it is chisel shaped :lol: ......when all was dry the deepest shadows (with Lamp Black) and highest highlights (burnished edges) were done........

Take care

Ray ;)
  6. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks Jim :lol:

I'm doing my best buddy :)

Take Care,

Ray ;)
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Ray.

Keep up the good work.

Roc.
  8. Norb Lustine New Member

Ray:
    He looks so good I think I want to marry him. He keeps getting better.

Norb Lustine
  9. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks Norb :eek:

I don't think the pics do enough justice..........I can shoot better I guess :(

Take Care,

Ray ;)
  10. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    U do a good work there Ray , i like the metal of the helmet very much !!! I think thats going to be a winner
  11. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks Costas :eek:

Much appreciated my friend :)

Take Care,

Ray ;)
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ray...he's looking beautiful..lovely painting...and I wish you luck in finishing him for Euro...where I'll be able to enjoy looking at him close-up.

All the best.

Roy.
  13. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Good morning Roy :eek:

I'm doing my best to give you that pleasure mate :lol:

Thanks for your nice words, much appreciated my friend........

Take Care,

Ray ;)
  14. aiantas Active Member

Greece
    very good face,he real looks asian.Excelent work at the helmet...
  15. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Welcome to the Planet, Stathis and really appreciate your induction posting on a thread of mine........feeling very honoured and flattered :(

16. homellop Active Member

Spain
    wow,That's a killer work Ray!!
    Love the metal on the helmet.How you did it? :eek:
    regards
    jaume
  17. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Ray..it's easy to praise work that is already so beautiful, but it's even easier when such improvements are seen...whatever you're doing...it's working ;)

All the best.

Roy.
  18. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Jaume,

How are you my friend? Thanks for looking :eek:

I've explained the technique on the helmet earlier on yesterday..........but if my explanation wasn't clear enough, just tell me and I'll try and go over it slower ;)

Regards,

Ray :)
  19. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Roy, thanks again :eek:

Actually, I don't really know what I'm doing :( believe me.......... or do I??

Joking apart, being absent for two years from a figure show makes you go a bit stale........then bingo I attend two in a year, namely Ingolstadt in Germany and WE in Boston.........Ingolstadt re-opened my eyes as it was graced by some FINE STUFF even though in much a smaller number than Boston.........then Boston slapped me in the face even further and kept DAZZLING my eyes over and over again..........

When all the dust is settled, and your eyes start to get accustomed to your "old" suuroundings, it is then that you realize how much you need to "improve" and really put your brush where it matters.........

The search to strive harder continues my friend..........

How much I'm going to envy you all during the weekend of Euro.........

Must get back to the brushes, otherwise I'll be damned not to have sent this!!!

Cheers,

Ray ;)
  20. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Finally finally. You managed to post a few pics!!! :lol: Guys I saw this in the flesh and it's even better believe me. Well done mate

Stephen Mallia