1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Poste Militaire....

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by fogie, May 9, 2019.

1. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    What about this one, then...

Mike 75mm.png
    Nap likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Is that Lasset ? ...if not give us a clue ..lol

Love that helmet !!

Nap
  3. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sculpted by Ray Lamb around 1973 produced by ......:sneaky:

Mike
    Nap likes this.
  4. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Busy time at this end right now with one thing and another ( holidays beckon - so soon it'll be lots of Renaissance art, cappuccinos,
    plus the odd Negroni or two ) Later on in the year though I intend to post details of a very senile character from my display cabinet
    which might just be of interest. I'll have to dust him off a bit and generally give him a bit of a medical....meanwhile this grainy old
    picture was lifted from an ancient catalogue......

Mike

taisho.png
    OldTaff likes this.
  5. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    He'd upped his game a bit by then, hadn't he?
  6. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    That is an old Hinchliffe, there was another German throwing a grenade.

Pierre
  7. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Indeed it is Pierre. I mentioned in an earlier post that they produced forty-odd figures in this series - mostly
    Napoleonic French and British Infantry but amongst them a few different subjects. A lot of them were 'doubles'
    or even 'trebles' - essentially the same figure but with different headgear and whatever ( Frank Hinchliffe always
    had an eye for marketing ). The figures seem rather dated now, but back in the day they were the result of some
    advanced sculpting and a lot of new casting techniques.

Mike
  8. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not sure I know who you mean....
  9. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Most of them had very similar, rather big heads, but they were quite a revelation at the time. I still have some in my grey army. Amongst the odd ones I remember, there were two mounted Plains Indians, an Assyrian horseman and an Anatolian infantryman, all in 75mm. And then came the giant Taisho samurai, very complex and very impressive, even after all these years!

Pierre
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  10. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ray Lamb, sorry - referring to the mounted Taisho(drool)
    Nap likes this.
  11. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ah! ... right.....That particular Taisho was sculpted by one Paul Knight - and alas did not even begin to compare with the
    original Ray Lamb version of 1973 which I imagine we all recall. In fact, sad to say, the mounted one was composed of
    the worst set of castings I have ever seen and required so much corrective work you wouldn't believe !! A lot of significant
    surgery was required as well as considerable re-sculpting of several major elements. It took almost as long to re-work as it
    did to paint. I'll outline more in the due course .....

Mike
    OldTaff and Nap like this.
  12. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I bow to your VASTLY superior knowledge
    wow!
  13. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

It's an 80mm fig. done by cliff Sanderson, which was never put on General Release, and, I bought it in a Job Lot on a Club visit to Hincliffe in 1978. I only found this out when I entered it at the BMSS Anuals and Cliff himself was very concerned where I'd got it as it was a Private Commission. Ray
  14. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

This was the one sculpted by Ray Lamb, and sold by Hincliffe scan0236.jpg
    blaster likes this.
  15. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Here is the Taisho by Ray Lamb I painted back in the eighties.

Taisho 002a.jpg

I have in my collection six Taisho on foot plus three mounted. There are two different versions of Taisho. An 1972-73 casting by Hinchcliffe and later 1978 by Calder Craft.
    The main differences are some of the Hinchcliffe parts were cast in two pieces (helmet/kabuto and shikoro, left arm and the leg piece). Also be aware some of the right arm and helmet for the Calder Craft may cast as one or two pieces. The Hinchcliffe castings are packed in purple tissue paper and in layers of white foam sheet while the Calder Craft parts are in blister pack with red or blue cardboard. There is also a trade mark logo, copyright and year engrave on one of the foot. They all come with colour assembly instruction. I personally prefer the Calder Craft one mainly of the leg section was casted as one solid piece.

tWoF4K9.jpg H1.jpg IMG_0012d.jpg blue1.jpg IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0035c.JPG
    blaster, Nap, Banjer and 1 other person like this.
  16. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I have in my collection three Mounted Taisho. I ordered my first Mounted Taisho when it first advertised in Military Modelling. It was delivered nine months later due to some kind of delay. I have no major problem on my casting. The fit of the parts were good. May be it was the first batch of casting.

Mtd Tasiho 020b.jpg

Mtd Tasiho 019.jpg 62TSvU8.jpg 7vdL1Gb.jpg Mtd Tasiho 013a.jpg Mtd Tasiho 017a.jpg
    DaddyO, blaster, Nap and 2 others like this.
  17. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking closely at the above pictures reveals to me a very 'rough' looking horse (pitted, poor musculature, so forth) Perhaps they're
    stock pictures and you were lucky in your copy of this figure. I definitely drew the short straw with mine. Still... all water under the
    bridge now.
  18. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Your right Mike, considering the same guy did the Gothic Knight before that, the only problem on that was the weight of the metal standard was too much for the joint, so, in time, it drooped, however I solved the problem by using another arm without the flag PHOTOS.JPG
  19. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Hinchliffe
  20. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Microsoft, we're talking about Hincliffe's Mounted Taisho Ray.