1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Poste-militaire Vs Pegaso! (old Vs New)

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Tecumsea. I agree, to a certain extent with what you say. I am not, and never will, take away anything from companies, that supply us with 'Great' figures! big or small, and yes! I hope they all do well. However, when a 'Quote', Small company! can exceed, the 'Multi-Nationals', in quality casting, and cost. It will always raise the, ambiguous question of why? Its almost the complete reverse, of 'High-Street fashion' vs 'Designer' labels. In this instance, we are getting better for less expenditure. So, therefore should we just have to accept that these large overheads! from the larger companies, such as marketing and production, then say to ourselves, ' Ahh', thats why I have to pay more?...:)

Illegitimis nil Carborundum.

Mark
  2. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Tecumsea,. This is all purely my own observations!

Mark
  3. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    You guys now touched a very strong name!

I don't want to sound, let's say exaggerated, but in fact the late Richard Almond was a sort of Lionel Messi in the figurine arena: So young, so entrepreneurial and at the same time so talented! That void is still to be filled!

And the pieces he created still sustain all greatness!
  4. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada

Richmond Almond was a prolific and very talented figure designer/sculptor. He was an award winning silversmith. He sculpted for Barton and Ceremonial Studios and later for his own Almond Sculptures. It was claimed that he could create a 90mm foot figure in a week and a mounted one in two. I remembered back in the eighties he would release a new figure every 3 or 4 weeks. Not sure what had happened to his masters and moulds. But they do crop up on ebay from time to time.
  5. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    @ Yellowcat, I have some of, Richard Almond (Sculptures)', . They are good! maybe, oh, so slightly soft in facial/body! detail However! the equipment detail is superb!... Given that this work was in the 80's, it still holds up very well today! Always the question? What would he have gone on to produce?:wideyed:

Mark
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Yeah he's amongst the greats for sure a sad loss indeed
  7. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Mark,
    Regarding "slightly soft facial/body", the ones that I got are all excellent in details. I am not sure the ones that you have. But be aware of recasts.
  8. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    @ Yellowcat. Did, Richard Almond, stamp his bases, with a sign, or signiture?.... Just wondering, if I have been shafted again!.... as I have one of his (supposed pieces) in front of me!... Now begining to wonder??? I have it alongside, a P/M, and a Pegaso, figure! there is a clear difference. But maybe I should 'Prime', the 'Head', to really see.

Mark
  9. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Mark, even if Richard did somehow 'sign' his figures that would have replicated in the copying process. From memory his figures carried the kit's reference number etched under the base. I'm not aware of any recasters out there copying the Almond Sculptures figures. I tend to think that it's the packaging which accompanies the figures which gives more of a clue to the provenance of the figure. Recasters probably don't have the resources to copy original box styles.

Poste Militaire were ahead of their time in terms of sharpness of detail & Pegaso post date the Richard Almond range so it may be that comparisons are a little unfair on the Richard Almond figures.

Geoff

Geoff
  10. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Geoff,.... True, to compare these figures together, is a little unfair, ..... Just spent the last, 1/2 hour, noting some attention to detail, on the 'Almond', figures that is lacking on the P/M, and Pegaso, namely the front flap, on the breeche's, and other little! but significant details..... Saying that, these were an e-bay buy! ( Yes! I know!) with no original packaging. I have had a look around the 'Web', for information on the two figures I have, but the 'info', is scarce. I have the two 95th Rifle's figures, whose bases lock together to form a littlle 'Diorama'. But were sold as seperate pieces. But there is no marks on the base at all.

Mark
  11. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I saw a whole bunch of Almond figures listed on UK ebay without any original packaging only a picture of the figure. And this seller has been selling the same figure over and over again. Actually the detail, sharpness and crispness of Almond figures matches those of the PM. I have been collecting the PM and Almond figures since the early eighties when they first came out. Almond figure bases have his name date and reference number of the kit etched on it. For example: R.ALMOND. 84 AS/A9
    Almond figures white metal were different from PM. A touch darker than the PM figures.
  12. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    @ Yellowcat,.... Call me a 'Doughnut', if you wish....( But not compulsory)! I have just checked the base of the primary figure, AS/39... Circa 1989, R. Almond......... So! the two figures I have, originaly should have been sold together as one unit. Clearly, what I have are some of the last casts, produced from his good wife, as I think these were cast after his untimely demise.:(....,

Mark
  13. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Mark, the Rifles Sergeant was the last figure released by Almond Sculptures before Richard's untimely death in 1989. The second figure, the Rifleman kneeling loading his rifle , was incomplete at the time of Richard's death and was completed by John Tassel (of Lasset and subsequently Sovereign in the 1970's/1980's). Subsequent to these there was an Officer of the 95th sculpted entirely by John Tassel released by Almond Sculptures. Also released by them around this time was a figure of Lord Cardigan (a Sid Horton sculpt?), and an Egyptian Infantryman and an Irish Kern. A great range of figures and sadly missing from the market place today.

Geoff
  14. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Geoff. This has explained a heck of a lot to me!...... Did not realise the second figure was incomplete, then finished by another sculpter. :)

Mark.
  15. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Here are some pictures of the figures that were produced after Richard Almond passed away. They were not sculpted by Richard Almond.

. 4281_0.jpg
    . 4282_0.jpg 4283_0.jpg almond1.jpg 604_0012.jpg
  16. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Thanks for those pictures. I'd forgotten the Native American. The 95th Rifles Officer figure is currently listed on ebay uk.

Geoff
  17. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Thanks 'Yellowcat',... Indeed, the kneeling 'Rifleman', is one of the two that I have!... The other figure, has the opposite base that adjoins to this one! hence the base being cropped. This is very helpful.(y)

Regards,

Mark.
  18. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Geoff, ...... Thanks!...... I noted that one,.. but I'm not sure how it would fit in with this set piece. I must be a stand alone figure, in it's own right.

Mark.
  19. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Mark, it is a stand alone figure and to be honest the sculpting style wouldn't easily match the other riflemen.

Geoff
  20. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Yellowcat!...... is it possible for you to take a larger pic of the 'Rifleman'.?... (Box-Art). ;)......

Mark
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.