1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Postcard From The Front

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by yeo_64, May 23, 2004.

1. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi guys :lol: ! Hit the "zone" again ;) ,so the figure is now complete. I've depicted him as a grenadier NCO,6th Sturmbataillon,a Bavarian outfit. He's wearing the 1915 Bluse and has a grenade insignia on his left shirt sleeve. I gave him waterproof overpants and sculpted the ammo pouches. I also left one boot off (thanks,Jason,for the idea !) and sculpted the boot and a sock. I hope to start on the trench base soon. Do let me know what you think of the project so far,won't you ? Thanks and cheers !
    Kenneth :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

A close-up of the boot and sock
    [IMG]
  2. Pete_H New Member

What putty are you using? Which tools are you employing? I'm curious because, for some reason, the surfaces look too lumpy. Doesn't the jacket look too thick?
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Kenneth, good work my friend,he looks pretty neat.(y)
    Your creativity knows no bounds. :)
    keep them coming.

Cheers.

Roc. :)
  4. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Pete,Roc,thanks for the positive and encouraging comments;I really appreciate them (y) ! Pete,I'm using commercial 2-part epoxy putty and shaping the putty with shaped toothpicks,dressing pins,my modelling knife and tweezers.You're right,the jacket does look a tad thick in the photos,thanks for pointing it out ! i've gone back and thinned out the jacket in places and I think it looks OK now. As for the lumpy look,I think its just the way the photos were taken,the actual sculpt is actually quite smooth.
    Roc,I'm working on the base now,will post more when I'm satisfied with the end product(I'm thinking of adding a trench rat to the scene,what do you think ;) ?) Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Kenneth, that's a good idea, make it a nice big fat rat. :lol: :lol:

looking forward to seeing your groundwork.

cheers.

Roc. :)
  6. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Roc,thanks ever so much for the feed-back,I really appreciate it :lol: ! I'll probably have the "little" guy looking up at the trooper,wondering what the fuss is all about ! Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea Kenneth....look forward to seeing the lil fellow
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks a bunch,Guy :lol: ;I really appreciate the encouragment (y) Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  9. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth,

Where did you find inspiration (photograph, book, etc.) for this project?
  10. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Jason,I got the idea from the Osprey book on WW1 trench warfare (Vol.1).One of the pages had a photo of 3 German stormtroopers sitting in a trench reading some letters from home. The idea for the scene just took off from there. HTH.Cheers !
  11. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey guys :) ! Well,here's the next step in my WW 1 vignette. I present to now the trench rats ! Did 2 versions of it 'cos I was wondering which would be more suitable for the scene at hand (maybe use both ;) ). Take a look and tell me what you think,won't you ? Thanks.I also made up the personal weapon of the trooper,a Gewehr 98 Mauser 7.92mm rifle with a 20-round "trench magazine". Something different for a change. Cheers !
    (The blue blob is Blu-Tack to hold the rifle against the background for photography)
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

(I filmed it on a Armand Bayardi tree stump as it was too small for my camera to focus properly otherwise)
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  12. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Interesting mod on the Mauser. I like your rats.
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,John,I really appreciate the encouragment ! Cheers.
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good Kenneth.....like the rats too.. (y)
  15. Pete_H New Member

The rat kind of looks like Bill Murray's nemesis in "CaddyShack" :lol: :lol: :lol:
  16. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Guy,Pete,thanks for the positive comments,I really appreciate them (y) ! Pete,come to think of it,it does bear an uncanny likeness,doesn't it :lol: .Will post more soon .Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)

BTW,guys,should I use both rats in the vignette ? Or just the bigger one ? Opinions,please.Thanks !
  17. Pete_H New Member

I say "the more rats = the more meat for dinner." Why not title the piece "Meat Tonight, Boys!" :) :) :)

As Carl Spackler would say ... "oonga aloonga .... oonga ... oonga ... aloonga."
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,Pete;I may just take up the title change suggestion ;) :lol: ! Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  19. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi ! Well,as promised,more pictures of my current project. I made the trench with florist polystyrene foam and added the trench supports from Historex parts.The tree stump is from Armand Bayardi and the barbed wire from Hudson and Allen.Placed all the components of the scene together to see how it will look like once it is complete.Next step will be adding the groundwork,mud,twigs,leaves,etc.What do you guys think of it so far ;) ? All opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers !

[IMG]

A closer shot of the main components.
    [IMG]
  20. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I like it Kenneth! What will you cover the "foam" with? Be sure to include some roots protruding from inside the trench where the tree stump is.

Looking awesome so far my friend! Keep us posted.

p.s. Those rats rock! :lol: