1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Postcard From The Front-Finished !

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by yeo_64, Jun 2, 2004.

1. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Hi guys :lol: ! After an enjoyable painting session (spread over 3 days),I finally completed the WW1 vignette I started a while back. Here then are the photos of the project. Opinions,please,my friends ;) .Thanks and cheers !
    Kenneth :)

The overall view of the scene.
    [IMG]

Closer views.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The rat "brothers".
    [IMG]

[IMG]

The back of the vignette.
    [IMG]
  2. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Kenneth,

That looks fantastic! I especially like the mud/groundwork (and the texture on hte back) How did you do it ?

-Alex
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth my friend,as usual, good work. (y) (y)

Keep up the good work and happy painting.

Roc. :)
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Extremely well done Kenneth.......Love it!!
  5. Pete_H New Member

How do you do you highlights/shadows? What medium are you using?
  6. jitch0t Member

Spain
    one of your best jobs so far, Ken, each one is getting better... the same question now... next project? ;)
  7. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Alex,thank you very much for the positive comments;I really appreciate them :lol: ! How I did the groundwork : Build-up the ground with pieces of florist's polystryrene foam (see the previous thread in my vBench to know what I mean). I then use a mixture of Celluclay and some weathering powder to colour the grey texture of the Celluclay.To mix it all up,I add LOTS of white glue and maybe a little water.The water content in the white glue will be sufficient to make the Celluclay into a paste. Using your favourite tool,spread the mixture onto the foam base.Now,add some more white glue on top of the spread-out paste. Using the waste bits in the packet of dried ferns,used for flower arrangements,which I got from a art suppliy store,I gently spread it all over until the whole base is covered.Leave to dry(1-2 hours,a day will be better.) Paint with your favourite paints when completely dry.HTH.Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  8. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Roc,my dear friend,thank you very much for the positve comments;you've certainly made my day :lol: ! Cheers.
  9. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Guy,my dear friend,your encouraging comments always spur me on to a greater level of effort.Thank you very much :lol: ! Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  10. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Pete,all my highlight/shadow techniques,I learnt from great guys,like yourself,here on the "planet" ! The medium used is Vallejo acrylics. Thank you very much for helping me to improve my overall technique and presentation (y) :lol: ! Cheers.
  11. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Daniel,thank you very much for the positive and encouraging comments;I really appreciate them (y) :lol: ! As for my next project,I haven't really decided yet. I 'll let you guys know the moment I think of one.Until then,cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  12. Edson Member

Mexico
    Kenneth very well done buddy, looks great and all that effort you did is showing in another great work!! Keep the great work :lol: !!

Now, some suggestions, IMO you could paint a little of dry brush to the groundwork with some yellow ocre, sienna, or maybe more variations on the greens, the green looks to flat, maybe is the picture.

And for the figure more definition on the shadows and highlight, I mean more contrast, maybe is already a good contrast and I can see it well on the picture.

That´s all my friend, keep the great work!!
    Cheers
    Ed :lol:
  13. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Edson,thank you very much,dear friend,for all your comments and suggestions;I really appreciate them (y) :lol: ! I'll definitely keep them in mind for my next project. Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  14. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Hey guys :lol: ! Well,I paid a visit to the local public library yesterday and chanced upon this book entitled "Illustrated Warfare 1914-1918". Inside was an awesome artist's print that set my creative juices flowing.Well,here then is the image and,I believe,the basis for my next scratch-build project.It depicts a young trooper carrying his wounded officer to safety. Do let me know what you guys think of it,won't you ? Thanks and cheers !

[IMG]

(I may depict them as Germans instead ;) ,as I've practically no information on the French. The title of the print,by the way,is "Two Heroes".)
  15. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Kenneth,my friend, that looks like an exciting new project ,You can be sure ,I will stay tuned to your next step by step.
    By the way, I think the the Germans are a good idea.

Roc. :)
  16. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Yeah Kenneth, I agree with Roc. Have one (or both) wearing covered spike helmets. THAT would look awesome! (y)
  17. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Roc,Jason,my dear friends,thank you very much for the valuable input;I really appreciate them (y) ! Yes,WW 1 Germans it is ! Now,I'll just have to figure-out how to sculpt the spiked helmets in 54mm ;) ! Will update on the project soon. Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  18. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Hi guys :lol: ! Well,after some serious brain-storming on the poses,I finally got a workable mock-up.The Picklehauber were modified from a couple of plastic Stahlhelms that I had in my spares box.Do let me know what you think of the concept so far.Thanks and cheers !

[IMG]
  19. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth,

I like it! (y) If I may suggest having the soldat carrying, use both arms under his body to lift. Much easier to "haul" someone around.

As for his kameraden, have his legs dangle a little more at the knees to show dead weight.

Keep it up buddy!
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    It loks real good so far Kenneth. I agree with Jason's advice. I'd suggest thinning down the mannequin parts while you're at it. If you don't, I'm afraid your figures are going to take on a bulkiness when you add the clothing.