1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Portable painting station - Thoughts? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by gerryj199, Jul 21, 2022.

1. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi all,
    Over the years I’ve been very impressed by the ingenuity of this community and the abilities and knowledge of members around tools, techniques and so on.

This is a long shot but I think it’s worth a try.

I’m looking for ideas for a portable painting workstation that I can fold up, has handles, secures what’s inside and isn’t too heavy. It would always be transported via a car - never by any public transport. It would be moved around a house at times, and it would enable me to take my hobby off for the summer or fall when we go to see our son in the mountains as retirement sets in.

I think I’d prefer to build it, but I’d also consider commercial options that aren’t too expensive in the USA.

If anyone would like to share any photos of things they have built, or have seen online, or have photos of components, that would be great. I’ve found a few examples online and will try to post those images to give you an idea of what I’m looking for.

Just looking for ideas at this stage.
    Please feel free to comment or post.
    Best regards
    Gerry

Here are some things I found:

bench 01.jpg bench 02.jpg bench 03.jpg bench 04.jpg bench 05.jpg bench 06.jpg
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    It's a good question and a good idea. Many of us participate in meetups with friends in the hobby, whether formal or informal, and with a few or many. Over time, I developed a traveling kit to take along. It's gone through several iterations, upgrades redesigns. Here's what I have now

I use a large toolbox to carry most of the paints I need, and some tools:
    [IMG]

It has a tray that lifts out, and I added another tray-a 9x9 inch baking pan-to hold some additional supplies:
    [IMG]

I also fit a small cutting mat, my wet palette, and a folding desk lamp in there.

Here is a brush tray, which is an old dental tool tray, courtesy of Planeteer Dr. Joe, and this tray also fits in the box:
    [IMG]

I made this insert to hold paint bottles at an angle, so I can read the labels:
    [IMG]
    Some colors are jut too close for me to know on sight, so I need to see the labels. Small round jars get a sticker with the color noted on it.

Always on the lookout for additional ways to improve my traveling kit, I picked up this canvas tool caddy for my brushes and some sculpting tools:
    [IMG]
    You can find such cloth caddies at art stores, though the ones I saw were all a little too girly for my taste. The severe OD from the PLA is more workmanlike.

And this is my first painter's toolbox, that I bought myself almost 30 years ago, from Richard Blick. It has a liftout tray, too, and room for a small number of tubes and jars:
    [IMG]
    It was plain pine and I stained and sealed it. But I found quickly that it wasn't nearly big enough for what I need to take along.

Finally, one other little thing I made for myself is a brush rest:
    [IMG]

I made those out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I have trouble picking up round objects sometimes, so this brush rest, inspired by chopstick rests, makes it easier for me.
    [IMG]

The lamp I take along, by the way, is this one (please pardon the Amazon link):
    https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Lighting-5-Level-Touch-Sensitive-Charging/dp/B00KSQ8ZNA

It has four settings and folds up compactly to fit in the tool box. I have a second one that I used at my desk in the office, too.

That's my solution for taking my bench on the road with me. I'm sure others have great ideas!

Prost!
    Brad
    marco14 and gorgosaurus like this.
  3. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks for the input and photos Brad. And I appreciate the link. I think it's a pain when you seen something online that you like and then you have to hunt like crazy to actual find one!
    Best regards
    Gerry
    theBaron likes this.
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Sure thing! Yeah, I don't like to have to hunt, either, so I try to provide the info if I can.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Prost!
    Brad
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gerry

A good question , like many I and am sure others use something similar to Brad (Not as organised though in my case !!)

One thing I look out for are snap lid plastic boxes for those essential bits and pieces we all keep around our bench

To carry brushes I keep them ( with the plastic slip over covers on as well ) in a travelling toothbrush holder .....keeps them together ...and cheap to buy

Just my thoughts

Nap
    theBaron likes this.
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Problem is Kev, what do you do with your toothbrush lol
    Nap likes this.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

On my bench, I have a ceramic toothbrush caddy that a previous owner of my house left behind. It's one of several solutions I have for storing brushes and similar tools. But it doesn't travel. I've got some other solutions that many probably use, like a block of wood with holes drilled in it, to hold brushes upright on the bench.

Regarding plastic boxes, Nap, that's what I was originally looking for, to carry paintbrushes in the tool kit-an old-school pencil box. But then I realized that I still had the same problem to solve-keeping the brushes from sliding around and damaging the points. That's when I thought about the cloth caddy that can roll up. The brushes are reasonably fixed in place inside it.

It's fun to see what everyone comes up with, to solve the same problems or answer the same question.

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap likes this.
  8. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Brad, love your idea on making the brush rest. I also like the old dental tool tray to hold your brushes too
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  9. WarhammerAdjacent Well-Known Member

I was in a similar boat last year, I was really tempted by some of the fancy setups available online but needed something in a hurry as I was going away. I looked at lots of options and then realised that I'd been using a box for weeks and it did the job so I probably didn't need anything fancy. I had some scrap ply and built a box, I gave it a compartment that was the same size as my wet pallet, it's as deep as 2 vallejo bottles. I've got a compartment full of paint bottles and a second compartment for other bits and pieces, it generally holds whatever I'm currently working on in one of the padded Young Miniatures boxes along with some glue, brushes and so on. It has a lid that clips on for transport and can also be used as a mat.

I'll try to get a picture of it later, I think my main advice would be to think about what you need to carry and then design something around that. One thing I have learned though is that whatever you build, it's only a matter of time before it becomes too small for the stuff you need to carry.
    theBaron likes this.