1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Pompeii Garden

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Ferris A Fixture

So now about making the rooftiles in miniature.

I used press molds and Magic Sculpt, see pictures below.

I first made several masters for the imbrex, as I wasn't sure of the exact shape yet and how they would stack together.

DSC_0905.JPG

Second picture shows the press moulds. I love this technique, as it is very easy to do: just soften the mold matrial in hot water, squeeze it over the object and let cool to harden....mold ready! After use, the material can be fully recycled, really great stuff indeed.

Next step is to place some MagicSculpt in the mold, press it roughly into shape with a moist point of a chopstick, or back end of a brush, scrape off excess and let harden. After hardening, sand and file away excess putty to get a miniature rooftile.

...to be continued.

Attached Files:

MattMcK., Oda, Borek and 4 others like this.
  2. Kevtk135 Active Member

Outstanding project, and I'm looking fwd to watching it progress.

From your question about how the imbrex is stacked - from your image 1113.jpg - - it looks like the tegula is stacked overlapping (top to bottom) b/c when you just look at them, there is a step. I'm guessing the first tegula is laid down at the edge, and the next one overlaps a bit with maybe some concrete stuffed in the back to keep it even. (?)
    The imbrex looks to just spans the tegula gap while also overlapping the imbrex piece in front of it.
    [IMG]
    Oda, Borek, Osebor and 1 other person like this.
  3. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Very ambitious project Ferris. As follower of the ancient ages i like it and gonna follow you. No hurt, and the world is of the braves!! :woot:
    Oda and Ferris like this.
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    The project is coming along nicely but be careful with the tiles as remember what they did to Ben Hurs family!:p

Bob
    Oda, Ferris and Kevtk135 like this.
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Metal and Bob!

Kev, I indeed reached the same conclusions; this was the picture that best explained how it is done. It is interesting that this roof tiling system has been in use for so long. You can still buy these!

I'm still looking for another thing: How did the romans finish the edge between a tiled section of roof and a wall, such as in my vignette. I don't think lead foil was in use then...? Any info or reference is greatly appreciated!

Here are some more pictures of the roof sections.

Tegula made of plastic card:

DSC_0904.JPG

DSC_0899.JPG

Other embellishments around the wall and roof edge, and beams also with selected plastic strips.

To be continued...

Cheers
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Andrew Belsey, Oda, Kaws and 5 others like this.
  6. Kevtk135 Active Member

The only thing I found was this -
    [IMG][IMG]

And it looks like the end of the "blocks" were just mortared in... HTH
    Oda, Borek and Ferris like this.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Kev for your effort. I wasn't very clear in my question though, because I meant another 'edge': the one as in my vignette, where one vertical column of tegula lines the wall. Although, based on your picture, I'd consider it likely that this was also simply mortared in.

Thanks again for your support, highly appreciated!

Cheers
    Adrian
    Oda and Borek like this.
  8. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Wow... Very valuable and useful thread, and a joy to watch. Great work indeed !!! Keep it up, I look forward to continuing:) .
    Cheers Borek
    Oda likes this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

How time flies. It's been a while since I have posted anything and an even longer while since my last update on this project.
    All this due to an intercontinental house move and a new job, sucking up all modeling time. My modeling is still focused on the IKEA catalogue and the last time I touched a brush was in August last year.
    Making progress on the new man cave however, so I hope to get re-started over the next two months or so.

Anyway, I noted I hadn't posted my last update on this project, so here it is.
    I had already started painting actually, but made no pictures yet. Soon....

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Andrew Belsey, MattMcK., Kaws and 6 others like this.
  10. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I've been following this and fascinated by the attention to detail. I wish I had the patience (and skill) to attempt something like this, thanks for taking time out and continuing to post, looking forward to seeing this continue to develop.

Keith
    Oda and Ferris like this.
  11. Edward A Fixture

England
    It looks fantastic - genuinely excited to see this progress.
    Ferris likes this.
  12. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb work. If I had a hat I'd doff it in your direction.
    Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Ferris and Oda like this.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Keith, Edward and Andrew!

Cheers
    Adrian
  14. Ferris A Fixture

Right.
    More than a year later. How time flies...

I have been progressing with this project and it is now firmly in the painting stage. However, there is just so much freehand paintwork to do that it is taking ages and I regularly lose the 'mojo' as it is said.
    And I moved from Singapore to The Netherlands, which is a horribly time-absorbing thing as well.

Anyway, I will try and post more over the next weeks, but here's a sneak preview of some of the wall-painting.

Cheers
    Adrian

20181023_220906 (572x800).jpg 20181023_220854 (752x800).jpg
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Adrian

Great to have you posting , you have been busy moving hope you've settled in now

Thanks for the update those wall paintings look great

Look forward to more updates when you are able

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  16. Oda A Fixture

Absolutely fascinating work!!!! One of those projects that make one say"Wish I had done it myself".

Oda.
  17. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Admirable! What I really do like is the colours you are using for the walls. Roman cities were a feast for the eyes in terms of colour. Everything was painted. And in bright colours: statues, temples, houses etc.:)
    Oda likes this.
  18. Kevtk135 Active Member

Oh WOW! Looks terrific! Glad you have some time to continue the project.
    And best of luck in your new place. :)
    Oda likes this.
  19. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Wow, this is looking great !!!
    Oda likes this.
  20. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So glad to see more of this project Adrian, caught my attention when you first posted the start of this build. Painting looks excellent so far and you can just see the level of detail you are achieving.
    I could just see Marcus, Stylax and Grumio from the T.V series Plebs leaning against that wall.

Steve
    Oda likes this.