1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Pompeii Garden - Part 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks everyone for your replies and likes!

Here’s a small update.
    Working on the overdress (palla), which is folded/rolled down to her lap.
    And starting on the arms. The hand is a 1:35 Verlinden one.

Hope to get the palla and arms done next week, leaving the hair for the week after.

Cheers,
    Adrian

C69620B2-DBCF-444F-8B80-C5160A583995.jpeg 2914A3B0-04EA-42A2-98CA-61E1100E5C0D.jpeg DF04AA50-56A8-4936-88DF-0C205AD3DF26.jpeg
    Mike Stevens, MalcC, Alain11 and 15 others like this.
  2. NigelR A Fixture

Excellent progress (y)

Not sure about the parrot on her shoulder though.....;):) (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Nap, Ferris, dmcHobbes and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

That blu tack blob really does look like one! :)
    Nap likes this.
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Almost there. Only her left arm and some detailing to do.

359B38A8-D602-4F3B-A7E0-80A84472B3B9.jpeg 5953FFCC-7D25-4C6E-ADD6-3317D742B959.jpeg 5F74AFCC-AAAE-486D-B0C9-F8028E5EDD7F.jpeg
    Mike Stevens, svt, VisjeMar and 20 others like this.
  5. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    Holy moley, that's some seriously astounding putty work: all these folds and wrinkles on the fabric, her hair... This garden of yours is getting better and better.
    As always, thanx for showing your progress.

Karl
    Ferris and Oda like this.
  6. Oda A Fixture

I loved this creation first time I saw it and I'm still loving every detail of it.Can't wait to see some paint on it.

Oda.
    Ferris, Dr Bison and MattMcK. like this.
  7. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Wow, wonderful sculpting!

Scott
    Oda and Ferris like this.
  8. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Stunning work,

Malc
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Amazing updates, Adrian! It's nice to see progress on this project.

Speaking of research, are there any particulars to her dress, that is, not just her robe, but the robe, sandals, hair? Are there things that were specific to her rank, position, class, etc, that you had to take into account? I'm just curious about the scope of your work, the research we do is much of the fun of projects like this.

Prost!
    Brad
    Oda, oldtrousers and Ferris like this.
  10. NigelR A Fixture

Looking fantastic, really beautiful modelling. Looking forward to more!
  11. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Fantastic work

Mobo
    Ferris likes this.
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Brad,

Thanks for commenting.

Yes, I spent considerable time researching het dress, hairstyles, etc. Up to a point I started to become a bit fed up actually! As with many things, when you dig in you find out how many details are relevant and how little you know about them. But the internet is a tremendously useful resource and I spent many many hours browsing.

One useful source of info were classical sculptures. There are so many statues, alrge and small. Challenge with these is that most of the pictures of them are of one angle and without multiple views I found it hard to determine how the clothing layers were draped exactly. Some instructions can be found, but most of these are lacking details, and some are incorrect or impossible.
    Funny thing is I found some of the simplest statues the most insightful. Perhaps because the sculptor simplified the drapery, focusing on the basics, rather than all details.

Then there was a most useful publication by an amateur researcher on roman dress.Will try to post it here later. This was particularly helpful in interpreting different clothing layer on statues and on learning about dress of different ranks and eras.

Another source were the paintings from the 19th century, but these are not the most reliable it turned out. These painters were struggling with the same questions I was and sometimes made assumptions....and they copied each other.

Reenactors also helped shape views, but this source has the same issues as the paintings.

Last source were roman murals, many from Pompeii or Herculaneum. I will refer to these when choosing colours for painting later.

In the end there were some uncertain areas, and on these I made my own assumptions and simplifications. I did my best and at least it looks roman I hope!

I agree with you. Research is part of our thing and I love doing this in ‘lost moments’...waiting during my son’s swimm class, during the after-dinner-dip, etc.

So, up next is choosing colours and the actual painting...!

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Mike Stevens, svt, theBaron and 6 others like this.
  13. eppi Active Member

Wow! Both architecture and character are so well done!
    Maybe you already know but searching here you can find many ancient sculptures, ready for 3d-print that could maybe fit in your scene, with some proper changes.

https://creazilla.com/it/nodes/4935-athena-modello-3d
    Mike Stevens, Nap, Oda and 1 other person like this.
  14. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Wow !....... That sounds just peachy to me....why don't we just eliminate the human element altogether. Maybe we could get to the point where the computer paints it for us. So many dumb remarks , so little time........But that's o.k.........He means well...........

https://creazilla.com/it/nodes/4935-athena-modello-3d[/quote]
    Ferris likes this.
  15. eppi Active Member

It ALREADY can, there're printers that print and paint with stunning results; it's just a bit expensive.

https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2014/12/02/yoomake-get-minime-supermarket/

IMHO a library of free 3d-prints is not different from a scaffold of resin or plastic miniatures: if you find the one you're looking for you just buy it, otherwise you buy it and convert it to what is in your mind.
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks for your comments and the link.

Yes, we see more and more of 3D printing in our hobby. Would be a great idea to use one of these prints as a basis for conversion. I will be trying this.
    One thing I do not like about 3D prints is it is very hard to truly get rid of the print lines. High resolution printers are good, but the prints I have had in my hands so far have at least some areas with these lines or steps. Getting rid of them I find very tedious.
    But had I known this option when I started this sculpt I would have tried your suggestion.
    Maybe for the next project!
    Now I look forward to finishing my very own sculpt soon!

Cheers,
    Adrian
    svt, theBaron and Oda like this.
  17. eppi Active Member

True, I got some good result with a fiberglass pen, after primering.

Cheers!
    Ferris, Merryweather and Oda like this.
  18. Oda A Fixture

Adrian mate there is really not a sufficient way to express myself besides WOW!.This is exactly my idea and approach to historical modeling.I do not care how much it takes and I do not care if I only finish one figure per year.To me modelling is a combination of many desires:desire to be a reenactor ,desire to be an archaeologist,desire to own a time machine....all never fulfilled.So when I model I aspire to be as meticulous as you have been on this project.I do not eeven come close but I try.I am glad you did not give up the hobby and I'll be waiting eagerly to see the finished version of this exquisite and most historically accurate creation.Once more,well done Sir.

Oda.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Adrian

Great to see the the updates, lovely putty work , the folds and creases look very natural indeed , the hairstyle looksgood as well , all credit to you

More power to your puttypushing

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Ferris, Merryweather and Oda like this.
  20. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Adrian! Yeah, I asked, because I learned a lot following a build on another forum a few years back. It was a depiction of two senators, in a discussion as they walked through the forum. The painter shared a lot of the details he had found. I was very interested to learn the details he found.

Interacting with a couple German forums, too, I learned a lot that we here in the US seem not to have noticed. By now, of course, much has been published, and is more readily available to us.

Prost!
    Brad
    Mike Stevens, Oda and Ferris like this.