1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Poll: Photoshop or similar?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Einion, Oct 1, 2010.

?

Do you have any image-editing software?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2010.
I have Photoshop 24 vote(s) 60.0%
I have PaintShopPro 1 vote(s) 2.5%
I have GIMP 8 vote(s) 20.0%
I don't have an image editor 7 vote(s) 17.5%
  1. Einion Well-Known Member

Just wanted to get an idea of the numbers since I'm planning an article or two on improving photos.

Einion
  2. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sounds a great idea Einion, I have photoshop but have never used it due to it being complex, I instead use Paint.net which is a free download and much easier to get to grips with.
    Any help using photoshop would be great.

Steve
  3. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    I couldn't place two votes but I have Photoshop and PSP but I always prefer photoshop.

Marcel.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    As a point of interest Einion what would you recommend?

Keith
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That would be great Einion.
    Having PS CS3 and alot of books, i cannot get the hang of it

Marc
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I've tried GIMP far too complex. I now use Picasa 3, nice and simple, just like me.
    Carl.
  7. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    As a graphic designer, of course I have Photoshop :)
  8. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Corel Paint Shop Pro.... the poor mans Photoshop.
  9. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    I would like to know also as i dont have any.
    Barrie.
  10. Einion Well-Known Member

In terms of value for money GIMP is hard to beat... being free and all :)

Seriously, it's definitely good enough for nearly everyone for this kind of thing and since Photoshop is $$$ it's hardly worth the money unless you need certain high-end features that only it provides. I only use Photoshop for this sort of thing because I have it anyway and many of its functions are replicated in GIMP.

The basic tips I generally give to new users are start simple, with the basics, and work on specific projects instead of just hunting around for things to try.

This helps to prevent being overwhelmed early on - looking at feature after feature and trying to figure out how they work and how you'd use it/them, especially since you can do fifteen things in various orders on one image. If this happens people tend to either give up or get a blind spot about how it's too complex for them, while any complex software can still be used simply... even experienced Photoshop users might use only a handful of basic methods to do 98% of their day-to-day work.

If Picasa allows you to do the important things then it's good enough. Keep GIMP for anything extra, or where you need to accomplish something more complex or involved; maybe transition slowly to using it over some months.

The basics:
    Covers most of what you'd need on a regular basis.
    1. file management, so as not to overwrite the only copy of anything (everyone has done it!);
    2. dust removal;
    3. simple adjustment of values;
    4. colour correction;
    5. resizing for web use (do it manually, so that you learn to understand what's being done);
    6. sharpening.
    To give an idea of how this doesn't have to be too complicated, 3 and 4 can sometimes be done adequately in only one step.

Another important tip is, if you're following a step-by-step read it through from start to finish before you begin and then follow it, don't jump ahead or think you can skip a step. Many operations in Photoshop are linear (or to use a mathematical term, they're not commutative) so A followed by B is not the same as B followed by A.

Einion
  11. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Both

I have a gimp and also photoediting software.
    Hope this helps,
  12. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Five years ago I was a technophobe, ...I thought the internet was all hype and pointless,... and software was for non creative talentless people!

How I've changed!

I've now embraced what I can get my head around, and I cannot live without Photoshop.

I'm lucky in that the place where I work (an archive) needed to buy Photoshop in order to digitize its collection. I now find it second nature to use, even though I'm self taught and probably faff about a bit.

I've been trying to encourage libraries to introduce 'software pods' where people who cannot afford expensive software packages, like 'Photoshop', 'Solidworks' 'Adam'...etc can try out previously unobtainable or industry standard software.

We'll all be savvy in a year or two!

C'est la vie!
    Cheers!
    Jon.
  13. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    I have been using GIMP the last weeks.
    It seems quite good.
  14. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    someone say free??....I just got GIMP
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I use an old copy of photoshop but just use the very basics (the basics being the ones you have already pointed out Einion). The dust removal is a major one as there is always dust whenever you take close ups. I think any image software that enhances your macro photography is great as it is so hard to get good images without it. It can also help when you finish a figure, take a few photos and then see something that you have missed!!!! Have done it many times.
    Ben
  16. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    I actually have and use both PS and GIMP, but I probably use GIMP more as it is easier to use for most of the things I use editing for.