1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Polish Winged Hussar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, May 19, 2010.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Completed with revised cheetah skin headgear.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    flart1943, Tommi, John Bowery and 5 others like this.
  2. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    He is gorgeous. I think one thing very remarkable from the pictures is that you evidently handled well a head sculpt that adequately represents the early phase of Young Miniatures.

If this kind of head sculpt resurfaces in a new release from Young, chances are a couple of members will frown upon it, with me taking the lead.

All in all, congrats!
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks

I'm not sure what your meaning Michael, do you think it was not a good sculpt? I thought it was very good. It looks very much like an Eastern European and the cast was very crisp.
  4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    This turned out to be a really nice piece. I very much like what you have done on all of the techniques used. Nice work!!
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nicely done Grant! You handled the wolf pelt and the feathers perfectly!

Jay H.
  6. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    This is truly a beauty! I bought this kit a few years ago and haven't had the desire to build and paint it until now. I don't see anything wrong with the sculpt. It looks just fine as it is. (y)

Gary
  7. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice clean paint job Grant.
    Carl.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice and precise paintwork.

Marc
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Grant, beautiful painting and an excellent finish on all the various textures, including the skintones. (y)

Cheers Ken
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Grant,
    Excellent and very nice colours. I think the other post was a little off in the translation. Great looking bust.
    Cheers
    John
  11. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    This nicely done, a very challenging bust by any means, well done.(y)
  12. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Grant,

Sorry I didn't make it clear. Please allow me to elaborate.

I had been a big fan of Young Miniatures very very early on, when the number of its releases was only a small fraction of the number today. And when I first got hold of one, I was won over by everything, including the head sculpt.

But as time went by and I bought more and more Young busts, from two to four, to six, to ten..., I couldn't help but notice the fact that the early releases feature a same kind of face, specifically in the nose shape (people on Planet have raised this point from time to time actually even before I joined Planet). There are those busts where a brilliant likeness is captured, such as Russell Crowe's, Collin Farrel's, and a few truly authentic ones such as the recent WWI German, the Gladiator, and quite a few others. But the following (to name but a few) have been criticised for "same guy's face" BEFORE I JOINED PLANET:

http://www.young-miniatures.com/products/YM1809/YM1809-1.htm
    http://www.young-miniatures.com/products/YM1808/YM1808-1.htm
    http://www.young-miniatures.com/products/YM1811/YM1811-1.htm
    http://www.young-miniatures.com/products/YM1804/YM1804-1.htm
    http://www.young-miniatures.com/products/YM1805/YM1805-1.htm

Obviously no one is saying they are exactly the same face, and some have a bit more depth than the other. But for those of us who maintain this criticism, the point is quite clear here.

Now I hate to be a nay-sayer, and the truth remains that Young Miniatures is the best bust manaufacturer in the market. But I guess this is why people really care to point out this issue? For an average-quality competitor of Young, obviously no one would be as keen to give suggestions.

As a modeller whose purcahse from Young is just shy of twenty kits, I hope this gives me the right to say the above.
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Just to chime in here for a second if I may. I am a huge fan of Young busts and figures, his work is amazing even in the early "same face" stage. The point wasn't that the sculpt was bad as Tse proved by finally putting that masters degree to use:). but that it was an early sculpt. Your painting is really perfect, trust me if Jay says it is nice it is nice. I would say that arguably Tse is one of the bigger fans of Youngs work on this site. He looks at them and observes the details of the sculpt as art before they are painted just as you or I would look at it after it was painted. The two early Romans (the signifer and the centurion) I painted back to back and it was like painting the same face. It was a really good face so I didn't mind, I just keep them seperated on my shelf by a few feet. In summary awesome job on this bust, your paint job on it has me wanting to try my hand at this one too!
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting on what looks to be a very challenging bust.