1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Polish Winged Hussar 1683

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by NickM, Aug 31, 2013.

1. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi all,

I've finally finished my latest figure - Andrea Miniatures 54mm 'Polish Winged Hussar 1683'.

It's a departure from my normal WWII subjects, but I wanted to have a bash at something with rich colours, patterns and metals. I think it's quite an old kit now, but I found it a pleasure to paint.

Rather than the Polish Lithuanian banner, he's holding one from Prince Alexander Sobieski's Company of Hussars, as seen in Osprey's 'Vienna 1683'.

I've used a combination of oils and Vallejo acrylics. Hope you all like it. Feel free to comment or give me advice for my next figure.

Cheers
    Nick

Winged Hussar 1.JPG Winged Hussar 2.jpg Winged Hussar 3.JPG Winged Hussar 4.JPG Winged Hussar 5.JPG Winged Hussar 6.JPG Winged Hussar 7.JPG Winged Hussar 8.JPG Winged Hussar 9.JPG
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nick, very nice work. I can't work 54 mm these days. Tired old eyes :D

If I may suggest, the feathers would benefit from some stronger hi-lites. Otherwise....all good mate.

Cheers

Ron
    NickM likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Really nice Nick, I like it it. Is the banner freehand? It looks really good and I like the additions to the groundwork too.

Roger.
    NickM likes this.
  4. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Ron, cheers for the nice comments. Good advice on the feathers too mate, it should be pretty easy to put a few highlights on there.

Thanks too, Roger. Glad you liked him, mate. Yep, the banner is free-hand, and it was actually a lot of fun to paint that eagle!
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nick,
    was wondering when you were going to post this beauty. Looks great in your photos, picks up all the detail that you have painted in. It does look a little glossy as I know that it isn't this way in the flesh. Great stuff and cant wait to see it at WASMEX
    Ben
    NickM likes this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Marek, the Chief Officer on the ship I'm on is also very impressed Nick and asked me to let you know. (y)

Roger.
    NickM likes this.
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great job Nick on a figure that I don't think I have ever seen painted before-the freehand on the flag is superb, hope this encourages you to do more in this line you're obviously pretty good at it!

Keith
    NickM likes this.
  8. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Cheers Ben. I reckon it's either the lights I use or camera settings giving it that gloss effect. I'll never get the hang of cameras ;) Seeya soon mate

Thanks again Roger, and to Marek too.

Cheers Keith, I don't think I've ever seen him painted before either. Definitely got more planned, I'm keen to give the Napoleonics a go now. Lots of rich colours and embroidery/braiding - good stuff!
    billyturnip likes this.
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Nick-I'm a big fan of the 18th and 19th centuries so look forward to seeing your work,

Keith
    NickM likes this.
  10. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Wooo - that is a great perfect vignette . congrats !

HEndryk
    NickM likes this.
  11. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nicely presented
    NickM likes this.
  12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome composition, Nick! Each element is placed to create a beautiful display. I love it! A true inspiration!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    NickM likes this.
  13. Mark S Guest

Great work Nick, it's beautifully painted and I love the way you've presented the piece as well.
    Superb result.
    NickM likes this.
  14. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hendryk, Ken, Zeno and Mark, thanks for the kind comments guys. Much appeciated!
    Cheers
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice job Nick - particularly on the horse and banners.

Colin
    NickM likes this.
  16. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Fantastic work Nick. I like it a lot!
    NickM likes this.
  17. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Colin, glad you like it. The banners were actually a lot of fun, although I painted them after shaping, furling the lead foil. A mate told me afterwards that I could have painted them flat first. Live and learn.

Thanks Piotr, I'm glad you saw my figure. I actually came across your wonderful Victoria Winged Hussar while researching these guys, and used it as a reference. :)
    Piotrec likes this.
  18. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Congrats Nick it's nicely done figure indeed!!
    For a WWII guy you managed quite well on this figure!
    I love it, from the banner to the ground, and the horse... Great!

Regards
    Pedro
    NickM likes this.
  19. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful ;)!

Joe
    NickM likes this.
  20. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    NickM likes this.