1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Polish Lancer colours

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Mat Lambert, Apr 28, 2014.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Awesome !.
    Post some pics when you have it.
    I remember buying those old humbrol pots when i was a kid, great paints back then.
    I am itchy to try the crimson acrylic.
  2. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Andrea do an acrylic crimson which is what I would call Polish crimson, being slightly more pink than true crimson. Their Dark Red is what I would call crimson (it's almost a burgundy colour, but more red than purple, if that makes sense)...very close to Alizarin oil paint. I also recall a colour shade called Amaranth which I vaguely associate with the Lancers of Berg and which I think is more pink than Polish crimson.

What do our friends in Poland think?
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Alizarin is probably spot on re crimson but pretty useless for figure painting unless you are using it as a glaze as it is totally transparent , along with raw sienna , another glaze ; I refer to oils here off course .
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is exactly why Alizarin will give you...probably....the best result....base it with a neutral pink acrylic....
    Then use a glaze of Alizarin thinned back....with a clean soft brush......by drawing it across the tops of the folds to give you natural hi-lites..and will leave deep shadows in the folds....:wideyed:

Ron
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    These are typical examples of uniform cor.
    The portrait is from a regiment in crimson facing (note black collar , 1776 Reglement des uniformes), The other picture is from a Museum, obviously a reproduction that has the facing color supossed to be scarlet, in fact, looks deep red to me. edma_d10.jpg d783338843b71a8556b47720ed46f3d9.jpg
    Jaybo likes this.
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello planeteers,
    I have received my humbrol acrylic crimson pot today.
    It is darker than it shows when you see it online, so i jave tried mixing it with jo sonja's Napthol crimson and it seems to work a nice shade of crimson to work with.
    Cheers 20150126_180705.jpg 20150126_180942.jpg
  7. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    humbrol do a polish crimson, which is a good base colour, which can be highlighted and shaded quite easily./badger
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This has been posted before. Lucien Rousselot's reference palette for French Napoleonics.

image.jpg
    Jaybo and OldTaff like this.
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Here's an exame of a Polish Lancer crimson .
    as you can see, the French crimson it-s more like a deep pinkish ( almost magenta) red. 64082f44e03fc8db22e6d148d1d3f941.jpg
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mat.

Just spotted this.

If you haven't cracked this Polish Crimson colour yet.

Try Vallejo Violet Red 70812, shade with Black Red 70859
    Highlight add a touch of Brown Rose.

Paul.
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another note on Aurore , Look at the Shabraque edging then look at the Eagle on the shabraque and the trim on the sabretache all Aurore and all bloody different :) different materials take on dyes to a different degree , esp in the 1800's :rolleyes:
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello folks, yesterday i've received my pot of paint from Howard Hues, polish crimson.
    i was really disapointed with the shade of crimson, unfortunately i did not take a picture of it.
    frustrated, i decided to make it work.
    so , i emptied the entire Andrea color crimson on it and added windsor & Newton acrylic Alizarin Crimson, added some flow improver and came up with a mix that i can say i am thrill about it and can't wait to put it to test.
    the Howard Hues i have not used yet, i have french Blue and Naloleonic scarlet (another cor that is off, it's real orange )
    Nevertheless, they seem lime great paints , a little heavy consistency, almost lime a gel but it should do the job.
    here's a pic of the final mix.
    20160105_065848.jpg
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Note, it looks more red that "pinkish" on the picture.
    but i am so happy with these mix that i hooe i could keep it for a while.
    cheers
  14. hall-moye@msn.com Active Member

United-States
    Have you tried Alizarin Crimson,Naples Yellow ,Tit White.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Not yet, but i will give it a shot for sure ☺