1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique POLISH HUSAR OFFICER 17 cent HOFI 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by pinsel, May 27, 2011.

1. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    this is the next i will paint on.it will be an colourfull as demanding figure.those winged husars where flamboyant and colourfull and surely their uniforms are the nicest of this periode.i always liked this stuff.figure its one from the splendid 120mm HOFI line.bought 10-14 years ago at Kulmbach tin figure fair.i think they where not expensive at all.i have no idea if this are still made or if the company is still around.there are some from KARO AS HOFI but those are not to good.while this is excellent in regards to sculpting and historical accuracy.
    i have some others like an 120mm gotic knight and all are excellent
    so should you get the chance to by an HOFI go for it they are GREAT
    cheers

Attached Files:

2. Ferris A Fixture

Looks nice Markus.
    I assume his left hand and arm will be leaning on something?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  3. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello adrian
    yes he rests the hand on an white metall sabre.the socalled KARABELA.and on the other hand will dangle an mace which is afixed to the hand with an leatherstrap.mace was called BULAWA.this was the sign of rank.the later marchal staff which was carried by for example Goering did evolve out of this staff weapon.
    as was the later Husar pelisse.this does carry the roped braiding at front and the buttons.this is an later adoption or homage to the old husaric breastplate.this was made from seperate iron segments rivetted together with brass caped domed rivetts.so the braids do duplicate the edges of single seperated breastplates and the buttons the domed rivetts.
    so its very interesting to see how ancient clothing did influence military dressing in later centuries.the same is the officers gorget.this small shield did evolve out of the ancient neckguard officers of the 16 century did wear.it was carried further till today.if one thinks to the neck gorget of the german military policemen.
    so its an very interesting aspect.i hope i will do it justice its very hard to apint convingly because of the decorated cloak and the leapprd pelt as armour in iron and brass.this is an really painters model.an high class painter would make it rock.well i will do it as good i can.well i hope
    cheers
    cheers
  4. salonikios Active Member

Greece
    one of my favorite subjects "the polish winged hussars" so good start Markus and i'll keep watching the post...i also have 2 figures (54mm) of Polish winged and i'll paint them soon.
  5. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    yes for anyone which has an fancy for armour and other goddies comes the sooner or later to this warriors.
    here some progress.the back side of the fur will be the next...i have alread searched the net for leppards.one think one knows how they look.but then one sees this is only an rough imagination.so i took some pics and now will try to render it.
    hands and boots are only base painted.the coat might get an decorated border.will see it it can be done
    cheers

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  6. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    and here the decvorated band looks an little more colourfull.
    it breaks up the monotony.looks reallllllllyyyyyyyyy bad from very close but well its working out with some distance.
    cheers

Attached Files:

7. Ferris A Fixture

Gee, you work fast Markus....!
    Nice going so far.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello adrian
    yes when i am on iam an animal.no i think even if i would paint slower it would not enhance the outcome.
    i am not to good so its no matter how long i paint around on the detail.i think the starpainters are very efficient in their output as well.
    while i refined the head of the pelt i found out its from the shape its no leappard its an gepard or jeetha.but such pelts where worn as well.i finished the yellow boots and refinded the border with some white speckles.this helps to break off the hard details and soften them.if then looked with the human eyes from an distance of 20 centimeters the eye is fooled and it looks like embroidered or wooven braiding.well at least for mine....
    so i ill now research the look of the geppard pelt and then do this then the sword and mace and then its done so far.
    cheers
  9. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    pics forgotten

Attached Files:

10. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    and done
    an nice painting session which brought an nice figure to life.even with my humble skills i can life with it
    as i said this is an painters modell.
    cheers

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      193 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      191.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      194.7 KB
      Views:
  11. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    The color of the fur of a leopard and the skirt, indeed, wonderful Markus.(y)
    The metallic color is also very beautiful.;)

Mitsutaka.:)
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    It is a very static figure. The painting is nice but could use more highlights to stand out.
    The leopard skin vanish almost into the metallic at the front.
    The leather belt is almost the same color as the shaded metal.
    Yes, there is some more work to do.

Marc
  13. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    thanks for the commets
    yes figure is an cracker,it would have deserved to get painted by an real good painter.but i had the bad luck so it fell in my hands like i said from beginning iam not an good painter.normaly one would have to paint an pattern for an wooven brokat look on the red cloak.but i tried severall times to no avail.iam just to lousy to create such effects convingly,i even can not shade red convincingly.if i look at the bust of the english king one sees how reds can look bright warm and full of live while mine is dull and boring.BUT who would try to repaint the Mona Lisa and then be pissed that the own attempt can not stand up against such things.i see such painters as artists.so i can bare my crap as well even if i would paint thousands of figures i would not come to this.because the artistic spark does not live in me.figure painting is for me the same art as portrait painting..so if an star painter would do it with all effects in reds and metalls this would be an smacking figure.i use just my imagination how it could look when done fully justice.
    but its one from an very favoured periode of mine.and i could not think an better pose like such an to show the armour at its best.so i like armoured up figures in an relaxed stance like that here.so i think you can not much better depict such an husar on foot like this.
    cheers