1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Poilu Bust, 1/10th scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Dec 17, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've started yet another bust, which I expect will be my first finished piece for 2015.:D

It's the exceptionally sculpted and cast bust by Phillipe Parison (Uribull) of a French infantry soldier of WW1, otherwise known as a Poilu. Phillipe is not a prolific sculptor, but the pieces he has released are exceptionally good. The last bust I did of his was the French Paratrooper of the 1er BPC (2ème Batallion de par) at Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam 1954.
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/french-paratrooper-bust-dien-bien-phu-1954.62796/

At this stage I've done the acrylic base for the skin tones and done some basic shading and highlighting. The next step is to apply a series of progressively darker oil washes over the skin to enhance and deepen the shadow effects. I deliberately started the skin tone very pale and added some grey to my usual colour mix to make the skin look pale and clammy, as if he's been sheltering underground for many weeks and hasn't seen the sun for a long time. Think Gollum with a moustache;)

The look I want to create is one of exhaustion and nervous tension, as if he's just about to lose control of his emotions. He will eventually be covered in dirt and grime.
    IMG_2239.JPG IMG_2240.JPG
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony ,

That is great ..those eyes are haunting .....following especially when you get to the uniforms colour

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Wings5797 and tonydawe like this.
  3. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Great start on a brilliant figure.
    tonydawe likes this.
  4. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    nice work on those eyes tony, looks like you had a good steady hand for that.

regards Zane
    tonydawe likes this.
  5. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your creating a great feel with this figure straight out the gate - will be follow with this project with interest (y)

-Rich
    tonydawe likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking real good. Up to the skyblue for the uniform

Marc
    tonydawe likes this.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Fantastic start Tony!

Roger.
    tonydawe likes this.
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Superb kick off Tony.
    With just the base coat it looks good.
    I am always interested to see how differently Guys tackle the 'French' blue......I know that yours will be a bit special.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    napoleonpeart and tonydawe like this.
  9. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    napoleonpeart and Wings5797 like this.
  11. URIBULL Active Member

France
    Excellent Tony !!
    Good Work ! and thank so much for your confidence ;)
  12. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Tony!

I have this stalled on the bench LOL

I shall follow your progress closely, especially on the uniform!

:)
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Nap, Ventress, Zane, Rich, Marc, Roger, Keith, Rigaud, Roger, Phillipe and Mark - thanks to you all for your very encouraging comments.

Phillippe, thanks for sculpting this magnificent bust.

I'm still working on the acrylic base coat before I start on the oil washes. I did a lot of subtle washes around the eyes last night to try to create some mid tones.

Also did some work outlining the five o'clock shadow and the hairy bits.

I'm trying to create the look of a man suffering from shell shock - a sort of vacant, haunted stare.

Also picked up a tube of Josonja French Blue last night which looks to be a perfect Horizon Blue.
    IMG_2241.JPG IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2244.JPG
    Ferris, napoleonpeart, NickM and 3 others like this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Like your flesh tones and stubble Tony.

Colin
    tonydawe likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Colin, thanks for your comments mate.

I've started on the oil washes tonight. Really ties together the flesh tones and adds texture and depth to the skin.

I'm on Christmas break now so it may be some time before I post any more progress pics.

Over 100 degrees today and my air conditioner is broken and needs replacing. Not a good time to be painting.

Even my wet palette dried out overnight.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    He has a very effective PTSD stare Tony. Looking forward to the next milestone.

Colin
  17. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Looks excellent Tony
  18. Diegor Member

Italy
    Great work!! Skin tone is perfect!
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys. I've been doing some work on the upper torso and getting the Horizon Blue colour right.

I hope to post some update pics soon.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony ,

Looking forward to seeing more on this especially the horizon blue mixes ....may your wet palette never dry out again

Keep swirling those brushes

Nap
    tonydawe and Wings5797 like this.