1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Poilu bicyclist having lunch in deserted village - WIP

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Dan Morton, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    “Poilu bicyclist having lunch in a deserted village”
    Further WIP on this vignette. As you may remember, the pose and vignette is taken from an often published war time color photo. Several people have done versions in various scales, but, I believe this is the only 1/16th version. Several pieces came from kits and have been adapted as needed to suit the scene. The bicycle is a diecast model, to which I’ve added a tent half roll and a bag attached behind the seat. MagicSculpt was the only putty used. The Poilu was probably a reserve cyclist, maybe a messenger, in an early horizon blue uniform, very plain.
    I can see when I put it all together that I’m going to need another village backdrop or panel to fill the space properly. The backdrop has been painted very hurriedly and will require a lot of clean-up and then some ‘aging’ or deterioration. The one thing which is conspicuously missing is the column or whatever it is in the middle. The raised bit on which the Poilu is sitting will have to be increased in size about one-third approximately. I’ll also have to adjust one leg so that the boot is in contact with the paving stones. I’ve concluded the column must be a very ornate community water fountain. Having done a bit of online research I found dozens of examples – nothing exactly like the column in the photo, but close enough that I’m reasonably certain that it is a water fountain. The bit right at the top is a bowl and the fountain bit is facing the shops. I’m going to get on those changes this afternoon. I’m going to make about half of the column and have someone cast it (Any volunteers??) glue two castings together, and add the faucet bit.
    Hope you like it.
    All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Borek, Jamie Stokes, mil-mart and 3 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Talk about multiple in-flight projects at the same time! How do you decide which to work on?

Colin
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Another nice job Dan, do you ever sleep ? :eek:

Steve
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Colin and Steve - Many thanks! Colin - I find the time - weekends mostly. It's been a cold spring in the midwest so far, so not much yard work to distract me on time off. It's also somehow refreshing to work on more than one of them at the same time.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Another good one!!!! (y)
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Coming along very nicely Dan.
    I really like this one and great additions since your last post.
    I have drunk beer in that bar and they still have not fixed that window!!! (they say "just in case")
    Looking forward to the next post.
    All the best,
    Keith
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Whooooaaa, Dan - like it!

Cheers
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roger, Keith and Martin - Many thanks!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great sculpting, i'm really not able to to make a thing like this....(y)
    Just a little thing, the most diffficult we french soldiers of the 1915-1945 period is ths Adrian's helmet.
    For all planeters interesting in this Helmet have a look on this (French) website, the best on the subject :
    http://www.terraculturae.com/pages/armee-francaise/les-casques-adrian-modele-1915-mle-15/
    Sorry it's in French, and PDF format, but you will get a lot of information.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comment and recommendation! Yes, the Adrian is tricky. I actually made two at the same time. These blueprints from the Laurent Mirouze & Stephane Dekerle book, the French Army, were helpful.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

11. Don Well-Known Member

Lovely bit of work Dan, cant wait to see it finished. Your ideas inspire me and your imagination must know no bounds!
    On the water fountain, by this late date could it be a water fountain at the top for humans and with a large trough on the ground for horses?

Don
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers Don - much appreciated! 1914 - I dunno if they'd have mutual horse and people water fountains. Maybe you didn't see the wartime photo I'm working from. I'll attach a copy - doesn't look like horses could be accomodated.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Borek likes this.
  13. Don Well-Known Member

Sorry Dan, didnt see the photo before I opened my mouth. I can however assure you that here in Scotland we had water fountains that managed to provide water for humans via a metal cup chained to the drinking fountain and horses from any water left over. Dogs could also sneek a drink.

Lovely figure though.

Don
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Don - Yes, I'm sure that's true of the common water fountains. What year did those get taken out? Any idea?

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thats a really nice sculpt so far. I am impressed by your knack (or quirk of mind) that can find a simple image like this and then translate it into a scale 3-d story.

I don't get to visit as much as I like, however your wip threads (and references to self checks and corrections) reminds me that even accomplished sculptors often have to rework a piece (y) Gives hope to wannabe hacks like myself. And raises the standards too.

The other parts I like about this (and your other works) is the research you put in to get it right.

Cheers
    Jamie
  16. Don Well-Known Member

Dan I am sure I can remember water fountains similar to yours as late as the late 60's perhaps even the odd one into 70's. Bit older than yours I know, but we didnt have two wars to alter our countyside the way they did to France.

Don
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers Jamie and Don- Many thanks!

Don - any chance you had a Kodak moment during the 60's or 70's somewhere near one of those water fountains. There are photos of older French water fountains on line, but they don't look much like the one in the photo.

Also - anybody interested in casting the fountain when I get it finished? Might make a useful addition to the 1/16th scale stuff available. Me - I just need the one. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  18. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress Dan.
    Carl.(y)
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers Carl - many thanks!

All the best,
    Dan