1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Poilu at Chemin des Dames 1915

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Feb 3, 2009.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Marc, this is a great figure from Jon Smith and you've done a very good job.

I'm sure you'll crack the weathering with a little trial and error.

Roger.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Roger,
    I appreciate it very much.

Marc
  3. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent looking figure Marc! Great work on the face and the blue looks good to me.
    My only point of critism would be as mentiod before the mud. Well I'm not very good at weathering myself but If I look at the pictures it looks more like dry mud on the clothes. Were you probably want a more wet mud look. Maybe a more gradual transition were the blue shines through would help.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Marc, have you tried doing a Google image search for "muddy clothing"?

I've done this myself and it might give you some ideas.

Roger.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work on the figure Marc,,nice subject choice also.
    how did you find the resin figure in 54mm compared to metal,differences etc?

Steve
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Steve,

The greatest difference between the both materials are the crispy of the casting.. I believe that the casting in resin is absolutely more crisp and clean then metal. At the other hand not every resin casting is better then metal.
    What don't like with resin is the great moldblocks. Oh, i hate them. Sometime's the moldblocks are hard to remove and yes i ruined a resin figure when i was removing these blocks.
    Cleaning and sanding is easyer with resin then metal. Sometimes i find it hard to remove castlines, with is almost not the case with resin.
    All in all i have no number one: when it comes to crisp casting resin is my favorit. When it comes to cleaning metal is my favorit.
    When i find a figure good enough to be painted and it is a hughe figure my favorit would be resin. Above 70 mm the weight will become also crucial.

Marc
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Marcel.
    Yes the mud should have two layers. Dry at the side and wet in the middle. You don't always sit on the same spot into the mud.

Marc
  8. eissteban Active Member

France
    Hi Marc, it's me again.

The tittle of your vignette is not right :
    The battle of chemin des dames spent in 1917.

Seb.
  9. Mark S Guest

Marc,for all it's worth my opinion is much along the same lines as the previous posts.
    For mine the mud apart from being the same colour as the leather work is applied heavily and appears to be applied by brush.
    A subtle build up of mud applications would do it I reckon.
    Cheers;)
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I know, but i pressed the button, and it stood there. I have no possibility's to change it.
    So i change it know, somewhere i lost connection that i could change the title.
    I cannot change the header........

Marc
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Mark,
    Want your opinion. Spend the whole day at work thinking how i can change it. Come with this: using white pastels and coloring them with my oilpaints (mix from the base colors).
    I think it looks more mud then painting on it. I would use a stippling motion.
    Should it work, or ruiing the figure???

Marc
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Marc,

I have another suggestion, which may at first seem a bit strange, but have you ever tried using real mud to create mud effects?? I have and it's very effective.

A small handful of very fine dirt, an equal amount of water, a couple of drops of white glue and a sprinkling of any pigments you want to add, and hey presto, real mud.

If you put too much on, just wipe it off with a wet towel.

It's one of those crazy ideas that makes more sense, the more you think about it.

Afterall,what could be more realistic than the real thing??
  13. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    I congratulate completion!
    Your work is excellent.
    A figure and a ground work are wonderful.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes, in my AFV period i put this kind of mud on the trackx. It looks indeed very convincing. But i cannot get the mud from the Chemin des Dames. It's a 5 hour drive.
    But yes i can get dirt of the garden.

Thanks for thinking with me.

Marc