1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Poilu at Chemin des Dames 1915

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Feb 3, 2009.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Poilu at Chemin des Dames 1917

Hello Guys,
    After try and error i become with these pictures of my latest creation.
    It is a Jon Smith figure and is 54 mm high. The casting is in resin and is clean and crisp.
    I hope you all like it, if not please make a comment so i can learn.

Marc

IMG_0334_1.JPG IMG_0335_1.JPG
    IMG_0336_1.JPG
    IMG_0342_1.JPG
    and a close up
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello

I like your french soldier.
    The groundwork are fine too.

Regards from Portugal
    Pedro
  3. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Ummmmmm....... I don't know if its just the photographs but the blue seems really bright and strong. Almost too blue.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Marc. both the figure and the groundwork.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes, i think it is bright. In reality it is not so bright. But remember: What is Horizon Blue??? I think the closeup comes to reality of the figure.
    Anyway, hope that you see the figure in real. I struggle a whole evening with the settings of the camera. Finally this is the best i got. Thanks for your comment.

Marc
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guy and Pedro.
    The groundwork is with the figure. Only painting :D

Marc
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Marc,
    Nice work and the base looks good.
    Cheers
    John
  8. theseeker Member

United-States
    Marc,
    The blue looks spot on to me!
    Rocky
  9. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    I think a "true" horizon blue must be one of the most challenging colors to paint historically accurately.
  10. caramba Well-Known Member

Poland
    Well done, Marc!
    M.
  11. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice French Soldier

Marc,
    a well finished figure, the groundwork and figure match (particularly the mud on the figure) and it all looks right.

Cheers
  12. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Marc.

Jay H.
    OKc
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc,

Lovely figure mate, very well painted. Just one comment- the colour of the mud on the uniform doesn't seem too match the groundwork
  14. cptan Member

Well done Marc. To me the blue is just right.... as I'm also having problem researching the blue tone of my coming figure - 1911 Republic Of China Revolutionary Soldier who's wearing sky blue field uniform too.

Your painted figure gives me some idea of the blue against the battle field ground work.

Thanks for sharing,
    CPTan
  15. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Marc,

good work, but i agree with Tony : the color of the mud isn't the same than the ground

Seb.
  16. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    It's a nice and clean painted work my friend. I think with a different background you would have even more impressive pictures. Best Regards

Costas
  17. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    hello Marc .nice work!one thing im not so excited is the mud on the trousers seems not so natural but this is my point of view.one part is totally mud and on the other part is totally clean.maybe you could put liitle mud traces also to upper part of the trousers.overall a nice work!
    dimitris
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks guys for all your positive comments.

Tony and Sebastien i agree with you. Gonna try to fix that. It's not easy i think because the mud on the clothes are pastels and MIG pigment and the base is painted and highlighted with different colors oilpaint.
    Any advise on that will be welcome.

Dimitris,
    I think that the picture's are not so good as i thought. There are several spots and dirt all over the figure, but are rarely vissible. I do not cover it totally.
    The places that are have most contact with the mud like knee, elbow and belly are more muddy then other spots.

Marc
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Marc, my suggestion is to use the MIG pigments on your groundwork too. That will make the mud on your figure and the mud on the ground look the same.
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Tony.
    I thought about that, but i came up with the follow problem,and that's how the other color of the mud took place:eek:.
    The ground of the Chemin des Dames is very calcium-rich. The mud and ground is some greyisch brown, with some green in it trough the grass and mos.
    So it was easy to color the base, and not easy to get texture in the mud and the same colors. The colors at the base are almost spot on.
    My thinking was, if the mud is still wet it should be darker brown then the base. Maybe i was wrong there.

marc