1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Poillu (Philippe Parison)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Apr 24, 2014.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Finally I'm satisfied with the painting of this awesome bust. The only point of critism for me is that the bajonet isn't straight. I tryed everything: boiled water, heatgun, but it turned everytime to his first curves. As always painted with oils.
    Beside that I hope you will give some comments, good or bad.

IMG_1029.JPG IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1032.JPG

Marc
  2. Edward A Fixture

England
    Looks great Marc!
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've seen you post up some great stuff on here Marc, but this one doesn't work for me at all.

The face is good but the mud effect is way overdone, is far too monotone and doesn't look natural at all. Also not enough contrast in the uniform or the straps.

A long way from your best work. Sorry, but you did say "comments good or bad", and I've got to call it like I see it.

- Steve
  4. Tarracus A Fixture

Have you tried to correct the bayonet's position when still hot with your fingers and while doing it submerge it into cold water until it cools down? Always worked for me..
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes, but it is always going back to the starting point. I have some more grey hairs.

Marc
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nicely painted Marc,I don't know anything else you could try,except make a new pay one tout is plasticard which may work
  7. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    In the past I have embedded pieces of wire in weak or wobbly swords to straighten them. Sometimes you can get away with gluing them on and then covering with putty. Equally a metal substitute, like soft wire beaten out, can work - or a whittled tooth-pick if all else fails!

Although I know myself that photos can be misleading, Steve's does have a point with his comments. I was wondering if some subtle washes of Paynes Grey or brown/sepia ink might 'turn down' some of the bright colours and help to blend it all together - just a thought. Anyone who finishes a piece to this standard has my automatic respect; I know how much work it takes.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent Marc! The eyes are great - worn, tired, very expressive!

I've sometimes had to make a bayonet out of metal to make it look right.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks for all the comments so far.

Steve: I know what you mean. But I've made the contrast bigger a few times. I lost the skyblue then. That's why I decided to go not so far with the contrast. And there is always the wash out colors trough the pictures.

Dan: thanks, i think that would be the only right option. I must admit that I never thought on that.

Marc
  10. swralph A Fixture

Nicely painted the mud is a bit much though(y)
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  11. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well done Marc. I have to agree with the comments about the mud.
  12. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice work.
    I think it looks harsh because the colour tones are at their highest value in the tunic and the mud is the opposite scale.
    If it was mine I would give a filter on the tunic, a dark blue. It can be built up thinly in layers and if done gradually will keep the light blue underneath
    The you can go over the mud but keeping darker in areas to fit with the tunic.
    The helmet can be done the same
    It is very nice, just needs bringing together that's all, just my take
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Love the face it's a great paint job there Marc have to agree on the mud but from a different take it doesn't look realistically placed to me thee elbows are perfectly done but then to me at least it looks like he's been in a mud throwing competition. take a look at these pics and you can see what I'm trying to say it's either plastered or none existent not patchy. I'd layer more around the bottom edge of the jacket and less above. The helmet weathering looks superb though (y)
    Steve
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    How would the jacktet looked if you where laying against the wet and muddy parapet Here are some examples. Would the front be clean. After some rainy days I think the mud should be more instead of less. But oke, I asked for comments and i got them.

Thanks again guys. Apreciated.

[IMG][IMG]

Marc
  15. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    welldone Marc!
  16. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    the mud effect does not work for me looks to redisch and only spots. and all the same colour.some smears and already dried and still wet areas would look more convincing.
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Rafael.

Marc
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Marc,dont be to despondent about the mud weathering,its a hard effect to bring off in a figure,i did my WW1 Prussian in a trench scene and kept it very minimal to the areas where it would be more evident,lower legs,elbow areas and bottom of the jacket,i applied it very sparingly with an old brush and then just carried it down on the boots and to finish I used the same mixture for the groundwork.

For the mud I mixed small amounts of polyfilla with brown and ochre oil colours and when dry,added washes (y)

Brian

Attached Files: