1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Plugstreet Wood 2015

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Eludia, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Boris, I'm glad you're enjoying my "make-it-up-as-I-go-along" approach to modelling. Hopefully you'll like the finished piece too :)
  2. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Darren, no doubt I'll stop by for a chat if you're not too busy :)
  3. Fet Member

16th is Salute, so no one will be there! (Other than the card gamers, of course, but I hardly think you want to mix with that rabble ;) )
    Eludia likes this.
  4. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again Fet, that could've been embarrassing ;)

23rd or 30th it is then :)
  5. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some more progress, not long to go now :)

The initial work on the metals is done and I also retouched the sling to blend in the new sections a bit better. The only major bits left to paint now are his pick helve and bayonet scabbard, other than that it'll only be minor retouches (I think, maybe you can tell me different :))

The base is now almost complete too but there's still a couple of areas where I'm undecided:

1. Do I sand, polish and repaint the sides, back and front of the resin trench section or leave them a bit rough and ready as they are now? At the minute I'm thinking that the rough, unfinished look adds to the overall feel of the piece.
    2. Dry or wet mud? I'm quite happy with how it looks now (i.e. dry) so I'm wondering if I should risk f**king it all up by trying to make it look wet (and maybe/probably failing).

Anyhoo, enough blabbering, here are some pics of progress so far:

DSC_2824.JPG DSC_2825.JPG DSC_2826.JPG DSC_2827.JPG DSC_2828.JPG DSC_2829.JPG DSC_2837.JPG

I couldn't resist a little dry run with the title plate stuck in place with blu-tac:

DSC_2839.JPG DSC_2838.JPG DSC_2840.JPG

Thanks again for tuning in (y)

Feedback is welcomed :)
    Tommys War, Borek and billyturnip like this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That is looking really nice Billy.
    I would leave the trench and figure a bit rough and ready and dry. I like it as it is. (y)
    Huw63 and Eludia like this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Roger, I like your thinking but I think that you maybe be a bit prejudiced towards a dry environment considering your current situation (y) ;)
    billyturnip and Huw63 like this.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Lol, you're probably right there Billy.

How about dry and frosty? It would go well with the goatskin and hands in pockets.
    Eludia likes this.
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Interesting idea, I doubt I'd be able to pull it off though. I wouldn't even know where or how to start :(
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Lol, nor me.
  11. mick3272 A Fixture

Did I think Ron K post a thread on a powder type stuff for frost /ice /snow. I have had a look for it but buggered if I can find it.
    Mick
    billyturnip likes this.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  13. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I actually have some of those icy sparkles kicking about somewhere :)

You've got me thinking now (a dangerous situation) that maybe a light dusting of really thin white acrylic paint through the airbrush with some icy sprinkles on top, sounds yummy ;)
  14. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    First test:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

It a very quick, rough and ready test on a bit of old wood I had in my basing materials tin. Literally a quick squirt and a sprinkle but it looks promising and I reckon, with a bit of practice and more care it could look quite effective.

I still don't feel brave enough to try it on this model....yet ;)
  15. mick3272 A Fixture

Eludia and billyturnip like this.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Disclaimer:
    This is the point where I feel the need to say it was just a suggestion and not an invitation to mess up what is already a very nice figure and base. :smug:
    Eludia likes this.
  17. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lol, don't worry Roger, I won't be trying anything like this on this model. The most daring I'll get with this one will be some strategically placed mud to hide the bits I've messed up or missed.....the seam line I just noticed on his right boot 10 minutes ago for example ;)
    billyturnip likes this.
  18. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    After a good day in the shed he is just about finished now. I managed to drop him once and snapped his rifle twice but all's well that ends well. I still need to do something about that pesky seam I found on his boot but that can wait for another day.

I'll get some more pics when he's finally done and post them in the Completed section :)