1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Plugstreet Wood 2015

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Eludia, Mar 18, 2016.

1. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I love that line Billy :)

A1

Corker and yes we did have a great time the venue is brilliant and needs to be better supported by modellers.
    It's easy to get to, spacious and light, and Steve and his crew seem to have their finger on the pulse of how to improve it again for year three.
    This is one to watch out for.
    Eludia likes this.
  2. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sweet, I'm glad it went well. I'll need to try and arrange a work course next year up at Yarnfield on show weekend, I'm sure there's something I can blag (some obscure H&S qualification or something) Did you get some pics?
    peedee likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I had a night away from the bench tonight.....but I took it with me and did a bit of painting in front of the telly ;)

Initial lights and shades mapped out on uniform.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some....but Valiant's pics on the show thread will be better.

Paul.
    Eludia likes this.
  5. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice , (y) ,
    chippy
    Eludia likes this.
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tonight's progress. I started on his puttees, did a bit more work on the front of his left leg and I also upped the contrast on webbing and Sgt stripes. A relaxing 90 mins in front of the telly :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Borek, Tommys War and Huw63 like this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Easter Friday progress update, some good and some bad. I'm happy with progress his scarf, legs, cap and boots .... but a bit less happy with the webbing.

I slapped on a bit of a Gold Ochre glaze as some of the photos I've looked at show the webbing as quite yellow. It looked reasonably ok last night but when I had a proper look this morning in proper light (and a bit more sober) I was like "Woah, that is YELLOW". So the lesson today children is:

Beers + Artificial Light + Painting is not a good combo.

DSC_2774.JPG DSC_2775.JPG DSC_2776.JPG
    Borek and Tommys War like this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I knocked the yellow back a little bit. This is more like what I was after in the first place, Happy Days (tm) :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Borek, billyturnip and Tommys War like this.
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Happy Easter everyone (y)

I decided to put some colour in his cheeks today so mixed up some skin tones:

DSC_2777.JPG

Still using the limited palette mentioned in an earlier post. Paints used:

Gold Ochre
    Alizarin Crimson
    Blue Black
    Titanium White

So, first run done on his face. I'll go back in after he's had a few hours in the hot box and bring out the shades and highlights a bit more. I also took the opportunity, having fairly decent light, to get some better pics with my camera (instead of my iPad):

DSC_2806.JPG DSC_2807.JPG DSC_2808.JPG

I'm not looking forward to painting the eyes underneath that cap brim :eek:

Anyhoo, thats it for now folks. Thanks again for tuning in and, as always, critique is always welcomed :)
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well, after a few hours cooking in the hot box, I did a second run on his head. That should be it apart from maybe a glaze or 2 to put a bit of colour in his cheeks so it's back in the box for now. Back in the lounge and back to iPad pics.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Borek and Tommys War like this.
  11. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just a few touch-ups and tweaks today. I warmed his skin up a little with some glazing and undercoated the metal bits in prep for the printers inks later in the week. I also accentuated some of the highlights on his webbing.

Now where did I put that rifle? :confused:

DSC_2810.JPG DSC_2811.JPG DSC_2812.JPG DSC_2813.JPG

Photos are a bit underexposed (sorry) but I think you can get the general idea ;)

Edit: Fixed the photos :)
    Borek, Tommys War and billyturnip like this.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    He's coming along fantastically Billy. (y)
    Eludia likes this.
  13. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Roger (y)
  14. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I found his rifle, yay (y)

Now attached and I sorted out the rifle sling ends, eventually. I had a grand vision of making these from masking tape with sling loops made from 3A fuse wire, it can't be that hard, can it? Well, it turned out to be quite hard after all and after an hour or so of cursing I had 4 perfect microscopic sling loops. I then spent another hour cursing, trying to thread the masking tape through them and get them positioned on the model before I finally gave up and bridged the gaps with green stuff (which took about 15 mins....no cursing).

So base coats are now on the rifle, hopefully that'll be finished by the end of the weekend along with the little metal fittings that are scattered about the place. I'm quietly confident that the whole piece will be ready for S&L (there, I've said it now. This is where it all starts to go horribly wrong).

Apologies for the picture quality, I'll hopefully get some better ones at the weekend.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Fet and billyturnip like this.
  15. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Hi Billy. Great work and fantastic WIP-SBS. Great to see such a nice progress. I look forward to the outcome.

Cheers Borek
    Eludia likes this.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You both look very cosy there. :)
    Eludia likes this.
  17. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to seeing you next week Billy
    Eludia likes this.
  18. Fet Member

He's looking great, Billy - your best yet, I reckon :)
    Eludia likes this.
  19. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just relaxing with my buddy ;)
    billyturnip likes this.
  20. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Fet, I'm happy with the way he's progressing so far. Still plenty of opportunities to balls him up though ;)

I think he looks better in the flesh. I'm going to try and get down to IS for a social the week after S&L (16th ish), if that pans out ok I'll bring him with me. I was hoping to get down this weekend but we've got unexpected visitors so can't make it now :(