1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Plinths and mounting busts.

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by chris1, Sep 23, 2015.

1. chris1 Active Member

As I'm slowly working my way through completing a couple of Verlinden busts.
    Dumb question. Is it ok to use the supplied plinth alone.or am I better to mount the both parts on a piece of wood.

I guess I'm asking for ideas thanks.

Chris
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There is no right answer Chris. Whatever you think looks best. Not sure which busts you are talking about specifically, but one possibility is to ditch the supplied plinth altogether and just mount the bust itself on a nice wooden base with a length of brass rod cut to size. Unless of course it's one of those massive 1/4 scale ones, in which case that suggestion might not work so well!

- Steve
    Steve likes this.
  3. Trex Well-Known Member

Another dumb question on this matter:
    How do you mount the brass rod on the base and bust ends?
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A pretty straightforward procedure. Just drill a hole up into the bottom of the bust and another hole down into the centre of the base, then insert your brass rod.

About 1 cm deep should be enough for most pieces - a bit less even.

Just make sure you use the correct size drill bit for the size of rod you're using. The rod shouldn't need to be any thicker than 5mm really for most pieces, except the very largest (such as the aforementioned old Verlinden 1:4 scale "blocks of resin").

- Steve
    Trex likes this.
  5. Trex Well-Known Member

Many thanks for replying Steve, I was wondering if anyone uses something like a "dual sided" screw (covered with the brass rod) to connect the plinth and bust.