1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Please, beginner here I'd need about 10 basic colours - which are essential please?

Discussion in 'Oils' started by Tyrell90, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Tyrell90 New Member

Hi, looking for about 10 or so oil paints for miniatures, could You give me a list which would been best buy for a beginner. Painting fantasy miniatures. Thanks
  2. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello I am sure others will give better info . All I can tell you is to buy the artist line of whatever brand of paint you buy instead of the student line . I might add to get a basic color set since you will be mixing paint to get various shades basic colors would be red blue green as said others will be a big help here with more in depth answers
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    To be honest l am an oil painter but would have thought fantasy minis would be easier in acrylics? Why oils?

Keith
  4. Lucas Ferron Active Member

Brazil
    Here's a 10 paint palette for oils aimed at painting whatever you want, it's just colors:

Titanium White PW6
    Cadmium Red (orange biased red)
    Quinacridone Magenta, Quinacridone Rose or Alizarin Crimson (purple biased red and true primary)
    Cadmium Yellow (orange biased yellow)
    Yellow Ochre (must have)
    Burnt Sienna (awesome warm earth tone)
    Ultramarine Blue (your purple biased blue)
    Azo Yellown Hansa Yellow or Lemon Yellow (your green biased yellow)
    Cerulean Blue (green biased blue)
    Raw Umber (great cold earth tone)

To that you could add some comfort tubes, like Lamp Black, Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna, Phthalo Blue, etc.

With the 10 paints above you can paint pretty much everything.

cheers
    Lissorles and Nap like this.