1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Plate Armour

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Shark, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Shark PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    No doubt a subject that has been visited previously but eager to know thoughts of what people currently feel are the the best metallic paints on the market for realistic plate armor?

Regards,

Mark
  2. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Personally, I favour Darkstar Miniatures metallics range, a range of shades of steel, consistently good quality and thin down well too. They also do a good range of inks which are useful for washes when adding dirt, battle damage and so forth.
    http://www.darkstarmini.co.uk/
  3. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Personally....I have always favoured the Scale75 Metal n Alchemy Steel set....they accept oils/washes/inks etc. over them very well (y)
    John Bowery and Shark like this.
  4. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    I am enjoying el,Greco printers ink metallics. They work with oils ..but Kagamusha has more fluency with multi media and am sure you won’t go wrong with Scalecolor. Have heard others report it’s the best...
    housecarl and Shark like this.
  5. Shark PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks to all above replies. Have heard good things about dark star range but never tried. Used scalecolor recently metal n alchemy good range of paints. Not tried el greco range but might give these a go at some point...

Thanks again for comments,

Mark
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hard to beat Mr Hobby colours range of metallics-they flow beautifully, cover well and can be buffed up after application. They have seven colours which cover the basics but you need to buy the solvent to go with them. They do smell a bit if you are used to acrylics but worth the inconvenience.

Paul might have a few tips on Saturday!?

Keith
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just a thought Mark, I've got some dark Star if you want to try them, I'll bring them with me.

Keith
  8. Shark PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,

That's very kind of you, thank you. Many many moons ago when I use to buy white metal cast figures I used to burnish the metal and apply washes which looked superb and very realistic. While I don't religiously paint plate armour Iv'e yet to find the perfect solution for simulating the effect on resin figures...