1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Plasticine Soldiers 1958

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Rich Sculpts, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Found this video whilst searching through the British Pathe website - John Runnicles rings a bell, has anyone have recollections of him?

[IMG]

Plasticine Soldiers 1958
    Diegoff likes this.
  2. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  4. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a young Northern UK modeller who won various awards in the early '80's sculpting large scale figures (250mm?) in plasticene. I remember a pair of 1944 paras, a WW1 gun & crew and a vignette of the SAS assault on the Iranian Embassy. His work featured prominently in Military Modelling around that time but I can't remember his name. Some of his pieces were also on display in the Fusiliers Museum in Bury, Lancs before the museum relocated into the centre of the town.

Geoff
    peedee likes this.
  5. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Think you may be on the right track found a reference to that name in a 1981 copy of military modelling.

Military Modelling Magazine, September 1981 Issue
  6. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Was it Rob Brown? or Ray Brown?
  7. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    And do not forget John Cuiffo
    making 54mm mainly WWII ( pasticine ) , single or vignette, with base and perspex cover selling at 3.70 as advertised in Mil Modelling in 1974
    There was some of them at the Heaumerie du casque d'or in Brussels at 500BF (12.5€) in 1974-75 . I was stupid enough not to buy some at that time
    There were superb, I remember a vignette of 2 RAF pilots behind barbed wire in a POW camp, thinking " I have plenty of time to buy one..." stupid I was .
    You can see a copy of the advert on the NOSTALGIA PDF page at
    http://www.mirofsoft.com/nostalgia-old-catalog-pdf/

Best
    peter green likes this.
  8. polyphemus Well-Known Member

For some reason I think it might have been John Currie(?). But I might very well be wrong as usual.

Geoff
  9. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I still use plasticine for roughing out sculpts - its great to work quickly with and you can leave it for long periods without having to worry about it curing or drying out!
    And it's cheap and reusable - a block last forever!!
    Steve(y)
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  10. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Do you make a waste mold of the sculpt or use the original?
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi- Im fortunate to have a couple of ex-industry mates who are still in the mouldmaking business - they either run a silicon waste mould for me or allow me to run a plaster of paris waste mould. I can then either have a resin or plaster core run to add details to. My T E Lawrence sculpt, however was entirely sculpted in plasticine, and the production mould was run straight off the master (which I still have, intact!)
    Steve(y)
  12. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Amazed how they got master out in one piece?
  13. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Some of the master figures for pieces produced by Hinchliffe Models were sculpted in wax.

Geoff
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    if the plasticine is kept cold, it is quite resilient to normal handling, its only when it is warm after being manipulated for a while that it gets soft - I generally put it in the fridge for a while! ive found that the darker the colour, the longer it takes to warm up! the silicon rubber just peels away from the surface, its only if there are undercuts on fine detail that there could be problems.
    Steve(y)
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  15. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That makes perfect sense - I want to start using plasticine for sculpting in the near future so will take that on-board.

Can I ask - do you use anything to aid smoothing out the surface as you sculpt?
  16. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry Mirofsoft (should have responded to your post). I certainly remember John Cuiffo - I remember an article in Military Modeling concerning his figures. Yet my best memory of his work was whilst visiting Seagull Models, on display was single figures in perspex cases and a really impressive boxed diorama of the defense of Arnhem Bridge by the parachute regiment.

Fond memories - thank you....

-Rich
  17. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

John curran if I remember, may have wrong 1 st name
    Regards
  18. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Rich,
    no, I don't use anything more technical than a home made brass copy of a clay modelling tool. I tend to use a "dabbing" action to press out the imperfections rather than "dragging". I occasionally moisten the tip of the tool, but not as much as you,d have to with clay. Hope this helps,
    Steve(y)
  19. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mirofsoft - has got it spot on...

John Curran
  20. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very much - thank you...
    -Rich