1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

plastic handrails

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by badger, Mar 17, 2022.

1. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    i am building a model ship similar to the one in toy soldier collector magazine -and need handrails. i have a couple of plastic ones but need more-i think they are 1/32nd scale.-does anyone know where i can get handrails.?
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    In that scale, no, I don't know where you can find commercially-available, ready-made handrails, in 1/32 scale, like you can find photo-etched rails in much smaller scales.

I have seen model boats in that scale, made to be used with 54mm figures, like a Nile gunboat, and the builders have scratch-built the rails. Most commonly, the modeler will make the stanchions from something like thick-gauge wire, or even thin nails or brads. And he will use wire or even chain to make the horizontal rails.

You can examples of such builds over at the Treefrog Toy Soldier Forum, to illustrate.

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap likes this.
  3. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    thank you--i have started making them out of plastic rod and they are looking fine, better than i thought./ badger
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I look forward to seeing some photos of your build, Badger! I have in mind to build a boat in 54mm, but a German gunboat. I picture something similar to the Königin Luisa from "The African Queen".

Prost!
    Brad
  5. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    will post a couple of photos when finished.
    Nap and theBaron like this.
  6. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Other variant is if you can design them and then 3D print. With 3D printing today you can make parts that you cannot find otherwise ;)
    Nap likes this.
  7. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    THANK YOU.