1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Plastic belt/strap material

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by GARD9, Jun 15, 2006.

1. GARD9 Member

United-States
    Does anyone know where to get sheet styrene in a thickness of .003"(0.1mm) and
    .007"(0.2mm)? I used up all I had and now I can't locate any.
    I'm going to build a couple of Historex kits and it works great for all the belts, straps and bridles. I seem to remember getting some in a Michael Roberts Ltd. kit once but, I don't see it listed on their website. Maybe I missed it.
    Anybody know the best place to get this?
    Thanks,
    G9
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    If you got a strip of plastic stock in a Michael Roberts kit, that is only way you'll get one as Mike does not sell sheet plastic by itself. He does have lead/foil sheets if that would work. Typically model railroad shops carry sheet/strip styrene for those that scratchbuild buildings for layouts.~Gary
  3. RFL Active Member

United-States
  4. Robert Dominick Member

United-States
    John,

What I like to use flattened solder. It maintains a uniform appearance yet it is still flexable and easy to manipulate into position. I use ot for all my straps from horses to figures to include insignia. You can buy it from most electronic stores like Radio Shack in many different sizes. Hope this helps.
  5. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi John

Have you tried the Bill Horan method of using electrical insulating tape, works great for me.
    Sticky on one side, comes in all sorts of colours including black and white and is flexible...

Dave
  6. Yarok New Member

May I add that you can easily wipe the glue off the tape by immersing it in cellulose thinner to remove unwanted stickyness (y)
  7. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I still use the good ol foil from wine bottles - well it's an excuse isn't it. hic!
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A friend of mine uses these fine lead strips that are actually lead weights for the heads of golf clubs. I think he uses paint thinner or some other liquid to remove the adhesive from the one side of it. If there are any golfers out there please expand on the subject.~Gary
  9. GARD9 Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the great ideas.
    I may try to experiment with all these.
    I thought Evergreen stopped at 0.010". But, 0.005" will fine for me. Thanks RFL.
    Hey Gary, I looked last night and found that I did get some in a Michael Roberts kit.
    It was in the 54mm 20th Georgia Inf. kit. What a hoot. :lol:
    G9
  10. Charles Denomolos New Member

Hi Gary, what you are reffering to is a lead impregnated tape. I really don't see it around too much anymore, people just hate to tape up their shiny new metal woods.(Besides that, theya re usually pecision balanced, and don't need to be weighted). Ask at your local golf club repair sop, they make be happy to give you a slice of the tape.