1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Planning your sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Jun 16, 2004.

1. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello putty-pushers,

The first major problem encountered by every scratchbuilder is: WHERE DO I START?

I thought it would be interesting (and entertaining ;) ) to our fellows members to see how I proceed.

Here's my method. The photos were taken during the building-up of my new 120mm figure.

FIRST STEP: the pose. Mannekin is made of cast components (head, torso, hips) and wire. Note that the prop (stool) is already complete and definitive before the figure is even started as it would play a major role in the pose.

(to be continued)

All questions and comments are welcome of course.

Quang (y)

Attached Files:

2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Back view.

The figure is standing on his own (not glued to the base). A sure sign that the balance is good :lol:

Q.

Attached Files:

3. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Quang.

Very interesting and looking forward to his progress.

Can I guess what it is yet? No! :lol:

No questions yet, but I'm sure I will in time

Rob
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Amazing Quang to see you do the very begginning of a figure. I look forward to the following steps.
  5. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Cool SBS,Quang (y) ! Thanks for posting and I'll be following it very closely.Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  6. y_wong New Member

Hey Quang, I will definitely be following this thread. Thanks for sharing.

regards :)
  7. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Very much looking forward to this one Quang! Thanks in advance....

-jim cox
  8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang,

Really great! I am looking forward to this thread.

Joe

PS I have not forgotten you, just sorry it has taken so long. :(
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    This will be interesting for sure! Looking forward to it!
  10. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Like all other, I too will be watching this to see where it goes. Thanks Quang for showing us how you start and procede.

Jim Patrick
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, I've missed seeing such a posting(s) from you. There's a lot to be learned from seeing your sbs's. Welcome back!~Gary
  12. amherbert Member

This looks very interesting.

I'm most impressed 'he' stands like that. The sculpting so far represents the combined skeletomuscular contribution to the pose.

I wonder about muscular involvement in a standing pose. If a figure is sculpted that doesn't quite stand up, does that add action to the pose?

Very interesting SBS.

Andy
  13. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Quang

Whare's the head from? The Musketeer? Also, have you been inspired by some piece of art? or do you just start experimenting with the pose?

Rob
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Thank you, guys, for your support.

But let me put things straight even if it may cool off your enthusiasm :( .

This is NOT a 'regular' s-b-s full of 'how-to' techniques and tips (like Gary's excellent 'Ramrod' article (y)).

Rather an insight on the 'process of creation' ;): how the mental figure is transformed into its (hopefully) corresponding twin in 3D. The process is not always as straightforward and trouble-free as one may think.

Here's the next step: FREEZING UP THE JOINTS.

Putty is added on the joints to 'freeze up' the pose. Note that the elbows and spine are left free for further adjustments. Also note how the supporting leg angles inward to counter-balance the swing of the hips.

Q.

Attached Files:

15. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Back view.

Rob: the head is from the final figure (alright, now you have a clue). The first two photos were made the sculpt was well underway to demonstrate the wire mannekin (yes, I did make a new mannekin for that purpose).

As for the pose, I chose the subject first, then thought out a pose that would 'fit' the character. No other inspiration, although in retrospect it looks furiously like PM's Sailor Malan. C.G. Jung's 'collective unconsciousness' :lol:

Andy: In a relaxed pose, the muscles are er... relaxed. So there would be no or little interaction of the muscles. The balance is just the result of an equilibrium of the masses.

Conversely, in an 'action' pose, the figure is off-balanced due to muscular influence. And as you rightly stated it, some muscular involvement in a standing pose would add some action (like surprise, tension, nervousness,...).

Q.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Great stuff my friend. I love your insights on sculpting and posing.~Gary
  17. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Quang, (y) (y) so far !! Post more please ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  18. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Quang, very interesting stuff.
    I've always enjoyed your step by steps and articles, I have found them to be most helpfull to me.

Cheers.

Roc. :)
  19. lbfactory Well-Known Member

France
    hi quang
    this is very interesting to see what is your process to de the anatomic of your figure.
    I have the same method do do my figure :eek:
    great job ;)
    what will be the topic of this figure.
    laurent
  20. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Quang ,as always very inspirational.Please keep them coming

Stephen Mallia