1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

planetFigure update 12/3/2009

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by gordy, Dec 3, 2009.

1. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Planeteers,

A couple new features have been added (see below) on the heels of the last update which has been a great success.

The integration of external Blogs have been well received (after some tuning) and now show from around the web other folks updates to their own blogs.

The showcase is ever growing and randomly displays at the top of each page (I'm working on making it fast to load;) )

Onto the new stuff:
    planetFigure has always taken criticism from it's detractors as a forum with little or no regard to "constructive critiquing" members posts. To address this I have opened up a feature to allow posters (in the vBench forum only) to specifically request constructive criticism for an individuals post in the form of a thread prefix (see the first picture). Now if a member so desires a constructive comments on his work in progress or completed work that member can tag it in the thread title.

vBench Members can change the status of their thread titles as well to WIP (Work in Progress) , Completed, WIP Peer Critique or Completed Peer Critique.

Use this carefully if intend not to have criticism -

- Thread Prefixes for vBench
    prefix.jpg

planetFigure also has had, over the years, folks upset about the number of replies that have numerous one word replies to posts " Excellent" "Superb" "Awesome!" and other superlatives to a good post. To address this minor concern, I have setup a "Superb!" button at the bottom right of the post where a member can click it and it will show the members who have acknoweledged and liked the mentioned post. (see images below) The "Superb!" button only shows in the original post.

This feature is entirely optional and left to the individual to use. By no means is this to keep people from expressing themselves, it is simply to offer the option to folks who take umbrage with short 'good job' replies.

- "Superb!" Button added to first post in each thread
    superb_a.jpg

superb_b.jpg

We hope you find these features well and useful, I will posting shortly some critiquing guidelines.

All the best,
    gordy
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gordy,
    I must admit, it is getting better and better. I like the Prefix for vBench. It good give great improvement for the member to get better and better.
    You are very very bussy with the Planet. Thanks for that.

Marc
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    (y) Thanks Marc,

I'm trying to smooth out the wrinkles!

--gordy
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    had to test that "superb" button, it's a great idea and i'm going to be using it :)

thanks Gordy :)

Mark
  5. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    This sounds like a great idea.

Perhaps we could change the "superb"-buttom to have a range of random superlatives? Or at least an "Atta boy" alternative? ;)

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    hahaha, now that's toooo hightech! alas, it is what it is :D
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Now I know why I spend more time at the PC, than painting.
    Carl.
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sorry! Same here ;)
  9. Mark S Guest

I've got to say I'm amazed by this.I've used hundreds of short positive replies like "good job" but had no idea I was causing offense to anyone.
    Does this mean it would be better to say nothing than leave a short reply?
    Or have I misunderstood something here?
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States

No misunderstanding :)

In some circles, planetFigure has been criticized for being too sugary.

We at planetFigure aren't knocking anyone for brief 'good job' postings at all nor is this feature to end that.

We are simply offering the option either way-

BTW, since the "superb" button's introduction I personally find it much easier to click it when I like something :)

all the best,
    gordy
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I don't think anyone would consider positive criticism sugary. I don't think anybody wants to have their creations slated. So a simple good job is sufficient, for you to think I could do better.
    Or is this my paranoia?
    Carl.
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    No, they don't. Your missing the point.

Some folks have labeled planetFigure as 'sugary'. For example, where a new thread is made, and members post a simple 'excellent, good job, etc'.

I or planetFigure's staff sees nothing wrong with numerous positive comments, however some folks do, for what ever reason they have an issue with those positive replies.

You may be confusing the two new features into one.

• The "superb" button
    • The "thread prefix" is to ask for critique, constructive criticism (positive criticism)
    Well, of course not! :)

But if they want honest, constructive criticism then they can put prefix their vBench post with aforementioned option for "peer critique"

Did you ask to do better? Sometimes people ask and sometimes not, if I feel the desire to reply with 'good job, excellent' , I will, whether they asked or not.

PlanetFigure has no rule, nor endorses a reply to a post of any sort needing a reason or justification as to why a member likes something.

For me, I reply with a an "excellent, good job, superb" because I like something I see.

NOW,
    Despite the "Superb" Buttons' original inception, and completely unrelated, it has become a tool of convenience, so now when I see a post I like, I click it ! When I need to say something I'll type something :)

Make sense ?

gordy
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Gordy.
    Carl.
  14. Nobunaga New Member

Romania
    Great initiative

I just posted my first thread at "New to figures" and I'm interested in the feedback of the planeteers. In fact that's the way to improove one's work.
    Can I go back and modiffy the post with a "completed peer critique" prefix ?
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great idea Calin,

I added that to the "New to Figures" forum category !

Thanks,
    gordy
  16. maximodecimo Member

Spain
    Hola,Gordy:

Muchas gracias por tu trabajo(y),las mejoras son excelentes[IMG] (y).

Saludos,amigo [IMG]
  17. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Gordy can you change your thread from a "WIP" when you started it to a "Completed" when your done? Hopefully that made sense-
    Scott
  18. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Scott,
    You should be able to edit the thread by clicking on "Edit" and then changing the WIP, if you can't let me know -

all the best,
    gordy
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    FYI :)

Simply click on the edit button, then click on "Go Advanced" then you will see the option to change the prefix status to completed, etc.
  20. mcsneed17 Member

I yet to see postive criticism work if you have tell because no one has come to me asking me why i have not done any figures yet maybe they do not want hear the truth about what is happening to me.