1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review PLAMAX Kamakura Period Armoured Warrior

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by yellowcat, Nov 17, 2022.

1. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Everyone,
    Here is my review of the PLAMAX 1/12 Scale Kamakura Period Armoured Warrior plastic model kit by Max Factory.

m1.jpg

Detail of the release:

Title: PLAMAX Kamakura Period Armoured Warrior
    Manufacturer: Max Factory
    Scale: 1/12 approx. 130 mm in height
    Sculptor: 3D scan
    Material & no. of pieces: 33 styrene plastic in black, red and flesh colour
    Order from: Amazon Japan

IMG_0019 (2)a.JPG

IMG_0014a.JPG

IMG_0025e2.jpg

The Armoured Warrior kit ordered from Amazon JP arrives in a white sturdy cardboard box. The kit box is shrink wrapped onto a piece of cardboard and placed inside the white cardboard box to avoid any shipping damage. Inside the kit box are 5 parts trees housed in 3 sealed plastic bags. It consists of 33 injection molded colour plastic parts: 14 in black, 16 in red and 3 in flesh colour. The height is approximate 130 mm. It also comes with a 16 pages full colour instruction booklet.
    The model kit is of a Samurai warrior from the Kamakura Period 1185-1333(鎌倉時代). He is wearing his red lace O-yorio armour (赤糸縅鎧) and wielding his tachi in a battle or fighting a duel. The round-shaped thing on the waist is a tsurumaki, which stores spare strings for the bow. Kamakura samurai are often described as “those samurai who value honour even if they take their lives.”

Here are the Parts Trees.

Parts Trees View
    IMG_0007i.jpg

Head View
    IMG_0096b1.jpg

Kabuto Parts Tree View
    IMG_0015a1a3.jpg

Kabuto and Cords View
    IMG_0402a1.jpg

IMG_0183a.jpg

IMG_0179b1.jpg

IMG_0325a.jpg

IMG_0171.JPG

Sendannoita Board and Kyubinoita Dovetail Board View
    IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

Tachi Parts Tree View
    IMG_0105a4.jpg

Tachi, Sode and Kote View
    IMG_0132a.jpg

IMG_0141a.jpg

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0125a.jpg

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

Continued in the next post..........

Aumakua, Martin64 and Oda like this.
  2. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    ..........Continued from previous post

Do Parts Tree View
    IMG_0245a2.jpg

Do and Kusazuri View
    IMG_0109a2.jpg

IMG_0109a1.jpg

IMG_0111b2.jpg

IMG_0111c4.jpg

Tachi Saya, Ebira and Tsurumaki View
    IMG_0094a2.jpg

IMG_0084a2.jpg

IMG_0046a.JPG

Hakama Parts Tree View
    IMG_0267a6.jpg

Hakama and Kegutsu (Fur Shoes) View
    IMG_0213c.jpg

IMG_0083b.jpg

IMG_0276A3.jpg

IMG_0277A2.jpg

16 Pages Full Colour Instruction Booklet
    IMG_0002da3.jpg IMG_0028b.jpg IMG_0029b.jpg IMG_0030a.JPG IMG_0031a.JPG IMG_0033a.JPG IMG_0034a.JPG IMG_0036a.JPG

Final thoughts:

The 3D scan kit by Max Factory most of the parts are superbly scanned with great detail except the fur shoes which could be done better. The parts are sharp, smooth, crisp and clean. The kit does not come with bow and arrows. May be the Samurai warrior has used up his arrows and that is why he is wielding his tachi. Overall a beautiful impressive looking kit and good value for the money. You can order the kit from Amazon JP which I think has the best prices.

My Rating Summary:

Chart6i.jpg

Finally, I am dismay and pity for those PF members who post cruel jokes and ignorant comments on Samurai due to their imprudence, inanity and lack of knowledge on the subject. This is my last and final review on PF. There will be no more review in the future.

Thanks for looking!
    Felix
    logo.jpg

References continue on the next post

Martin64 and Oda like this.
  3. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    ..........Continued from previous post

Armour in the Kamakura Period (鎌倉時代) 1185–1333
    There were two types of armour in the Kamakura period: O-yorio armour (大鎧) and Haramaki (腹巻)/Dōmaru (胴丸)
    A O-yoroi is a cavalry armour worn by samurai comprising in its basic form a kabuto (helmet), (cuirass) with kusazuri (multipart skirt pendant), and sode (shoulder guards). A significant feature of the O-yoroi is that in cross-section viewed from above, the body forms a letter C, as it is completely open on the right side. This type of armour flourished during the Heian (平安時代) (794–1185) and Kamakura (鎌倉時代) periods (1185–1333), gradually went out of fashion in the Nanbokuchō period (1336–92), and was revived in the Edo period.
    The O-yoroi is obviously a bulky and heavy armour. It was also expensive. For retainers and lesser warriors, the dō maru and haramaki were developed. These armours had more skirt plates and fitted closer to the body, omitting the need for a waidate. The dō-maru opens under the right arm; the haramaki opens at the back.

Dōmaru (胴丸) armour was worn by foot soliders since the Heian period. The kusazuri (ptotective skirt suspended from the do/cuirass) was divided into eight sections to allow ease of movement. The deep overlapping right-handed edges of the do/cuirass are another feature of the dōmaru armour. This type of armour gradually replaced O-yoroi armour, as the style of fighting changed from mounted archers to foot soldiers armed with katanas in the late Kamakura period. Soon warlords began wearing this armour combined with large upper arm guards and a helmet. The name dōmaru was not used until the Euroku era (永禄)(1558-70). Before that time, it was referred to as haramaki (midriff-wrapper).

details03c.png

imperial1590242769_53b.jpg
    imperial1590242742_52a.jpg

imperial1590242816_55a.jpg
    b312fb2d9b3884035e8633a80298c788.jpg

osode2.jpg

A3CFL.jpg

armor set1 (2).jpg

armor set3.jpg

285499453_5974575362557905_522088511877476975_n1.jpg

pattern.jpg

489_4.jpg

Kegutsu/Tsuranuki (Samurai Armour Yoroi Fur Shoes)

Short leather shoes made with fur (often from bears) in the believe that the animal's fierce strength could be transferred to the wearer. They were popular among high ranking samurai in the Heian period but rare by the 16th Century. The vamp is made of bear skin and the upper part of silk. The metal trimmings are made of pure gold.These smooth boots allow a warrior to dress up their combat footgear and make it fit into the rest of their armored wardrobe. They also add a bit of toughness to the outer layer of foot armor.

10_Armor (2)a.jpg

00000.jpg

142951034476111147177_2015_0414131518.jpg

303491_535606253152053_885409161_n.jpg

KEGUTSU-1b.jpg

a31ba3341c3db805e728d6270dfd1a37.jpg

Ebira (Arrow case)
    a3109aec7c10994fe6484851c4443eb5.jpg

p1020033a.jpg

648a12675e3bddb4f9eedc9f8c7ffaab.jpg

Tachi
    122889100_10159146639169459_3992296356607925450_n.jpg

combine copy3.jpg

tachi2.jpg

A short WIP video

Decal sheet as shown in the video can be purchased from modelkasten

decal.jpg

4. harto Active Member

HongKong
    Great review Felix, I also bought this kit, partially with a view to upgrading the head of my old Taisho figure which I always thought was a weak point. Thanks for flagging the decal sheet which I wasn't aware of. I sincerely hope this isn't your last review, I have learned a lot from you and your generosity in sharing your detailed knowledge is one of the things that makes this forum so great. I really hope you reconsider.
    Tecumsea, Nap and Oda like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Felix

That's is how a review should be done , and I also certainly echo Harto's comments that this isn't your last review , you've explained the kit really well

References are as always with your knowledge impeccably shown

Thanks for taking the time and hope we see your completed version if possible

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Henk and Banjer like this.
  6. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  7. BRAN Active Member

France
    I don't know what problems you encountered for deciding to stop offering your very high quality reviews, both for the text and for the photos. I regret your decision but I respect your choice, it's a shame, I greatly appreciated your posts. Good continuation in your passion.
    Banjer and Nap like this.
  8. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    PLEASE don't stop your reviews and comments about Samurai period ! don't bow down to a minority of morrons when the majority is waiting for your comments to learn !
  9. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Excellent review Felix. Very comprehensive and well documented. Keep them coming please.
    Regards
    Chris
  10. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Please put on those bearskin shoes and carry on with reviews like these - don`t give a s§t about trolls.

Cheers, Martin
  11. Tommy Brown Active Member

Another colossus review!

There are quite a few trolls on PF. Some old ones and some new ones. We know who they are.
    They got nothing to do and spend their days trying to fill up their empty souls with the pain of others.
    So just slashed them out and keep doing what you are doing.

PF troll is trolling on PF Forums again!
    troll3.jpg
  12. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    Why don't you guys ever reference your sources properly? I'd like to know what books the illustrations of the Kamakura period armour and the Tachi are ripped from.
  13. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    For your information:

All my Samurai reference pictures in my reviews are from my collection since the late seventies. I have arranged the layout and categorized them in various PDF files. Previously, I have more than twenty volume of Samurai references in PDF files and all are available to PF members to download for free here on PF. But then I noticed some of the files were showing up on some pay to download website without my knowledge. Someone was making a profit from my free files. I decided to delete all my PDF files on PF which include Samurai references, Samurai auction catalogues, Rigo Le plummet and Conrad uniform plates and my oil painting guides.
    Unfortunately you have missed the golden opportunity to download all my free files. I guess you have to buy your own books and do your own research and stop complaining. Happy research!

Here is my PDF file intro first page on Samurai fur shoes and straw sandals. This file has 85 pages, half of the file is on Kegutsu (Fur Shoes) and the other half is on Waraji (Straw Sandals).

Kegutsu3e (1)b.jpg w4.jpg
    Bone, Banjer, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Hi

Do feel free to do your own reviews as well

Look forward to seeing how they are presented

Nap
    Banjer likes this.
  15. Aumakua Member

Greece
    Excellent review, thank you so much!
  16. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  17. C Child New Member

Fantastic review. I very much appreciate the research and detailed information. Great stuff.

I believe that Model Kasten--the decal maker mentioned above--has also published a "how to" book in connection with this figure. I've looked for it on Amazon.jp, Ebay, and HLJ, but no luck so far.

I don't read or speak Japanese, so I'd appreciate any help from those who do in tracking down a vendor for the book, or perhaps getting its ISBN so I can search for it myself.

Thanks.

Chris
  18. Eboracum Member

United-Kingdom
    yellowcat likes this.
  19. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Amazon JP has better price.
    Eboracum likes this.
  20. Eboracum Member

United-Kingdom
    Yellowcat,I am sorry that you are not going to post any more reviews and excellent information and knowledge n on here. It is a great shame that in this world we live that the thoughts of a minority outweigh the silent majority. There are many more members on this form who appreciate your posts than those who deride them. You have made your future plans clear to us all, and I appreciate the heads up rather than the posts just stopping, but I will continue hoping that you continue.

Nic
    Bob Orr and Nap like this.