1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Pirates Party

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by madeg, May 19, 2011.

1. madeg Active Member

PIRATES PARTY

It’s been a while since my last posting .
    After the single figure a made last time ,my next project is a vignette with 3 pirates .
    The basic inspiration for this came from drawings I found on the internet . Beïng a Disney fan I came across some concept art from the well known Disney imagineer Marc Davis .
    He was the guy that got the order from Walt to design “something “with pirates . They had no idea what it wood become . Long before the franchise from Jerry ( loud movies ) Bruckenheimer “ Pirates of the Carribean “ ,the Pirates dark ride was huge popular with the visitors of DL . Making use of -in those days - high tech audio animatronics ,full size figures were moving making use of sound to synchronise the scenes .
    But back to the figures . The drawings and concept art I used to scratchbuild the scene did not make it into the final project .Davis made dozens of drawings and created the pirates world as we know it now .
    The scene is showing 3 pirates having a party with a lot of rum after a successful treasure hunt .
    Every figure is interacting with the other , therefore I had to build them up simultaneously.
    Figure 1 is shooting a hole in a barrel of rum ( he’s sitting on a barrel of gun powder ). The barrel of rum has 2 holes in it and is fixed to figure 2( that is drinking out of it ). The rum leaking from the barrel is captured by figure 3. As always I used magic sculpt, milliput and green stuff ( knetadine ) to create the figures .
    The acsessoires are from the scrapbox and from different manufacturers.
    The heads and some hands are from the Hornet range .
    The mannequins are home made from epoxy 2 compounds resin .
    The rum leaking from the barrel is made from a thin nylon thread covered with artificial water from the Vallejo range . The acrylic water will be colored with acryl transparent paint to give the rum effect .
    The scenery itself is a construction from Romeo Models in combination with stairs by Reality in Scale .
    The overall scale is 54mm .
    The painting will be done , using acrylics from Vallejo as basecoat and oils from W & N.
    Yo ho maties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: have you seen the 2 rats at the bottom of the stairs .

Attached Files:

• pf1.jpg
      pf1.jpg
      File size:
      176.6 KB
      Views:
    • pf2.jpg
      pf2.jpg
      File size:
      177.4 KB
      Views:
    • pf3.jpg
      pf3.jpg
      File size:
      161.8 KB
      Views:
    • pf4.jpg
      pf4.jpg
      File size:
      171.8 KB
      Views:
    • pf5.jpg
      pf5.jpg
      File size:
      185.7 KB
      Views:
    • pf6..jpg
      pf6..jpg
      File size:
      135 KB
      Views:
    • pf7.jpg
      pf7.jpg
      File size:
      183.2 KB
      Views:
    • pf8.jpg
      pf8.jpg
      File size:
      145 KB
      Views:
    • pf9.jpg
      pf9.jpg
      File size:
      192.8 KB
      Views:
    Mike Stevens, tbolt7, GARRY and 26 others like this.
  2. came Member

Italy
    I love it, it's too funny and you have made a great work
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work. I look forward to seeing this progress.
  4. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    With Pirates of the Caribbean coming out tomorrow Pirates are going to be hot again.
    Mark
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I'm not a fan of pirates. But I think this is brilliant, made me smile anyway.
    Carl.
  6. redhorse Active Member

United-States

My thoughts exactly. Great work!
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic work Marc look forward to seeing it painted.

Cheers David
  8. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Excellent sculptwork, Marc! Very nice composition!
    Wanna see this painted to,
    Eddy
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I love it, too, Marc! From your staging of the scene, to the very instructive in-progress pics of your sculpts, and thanks for including details on the materials, too.

Prost!
    Brad
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Mark.
    Looking forward to your next posting.

Marc
  11. amomfaretos Active Member

Greece
    Amazing work!!! Look forward for your painting!!

Babis
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Fascinating back story, thanks for the detailed info on the medium and excellent sculpting Marc (y)
    I'm anxious to see the painting also , thanks for sharing!
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Well, that's a fun piece and brilliantly executed as well!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  14. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    WOW !!!

Fantastic, it is so funny, it is so great !!!
  15. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    This is what I call a truly creative work. It combines very well pre-existing elements, like the base scene, with others self-created.
    The composition is balanced and consistent. Even the rats reproduce by they way the human scene. Brilliant.

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  16. Carlo Giovanni Member

Brazil
  17. Trep Active Member

United-States
    AWESOME, wow, this is so cool
  18. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Wonderful piece. My friend David did the pirate with the girl in the barrel a few years ago. He would love this. I need to send him a link to this.
  19. Jim Active Member

I love the imagination of the work and I admire your talent. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.
  20. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Lovely work Marc. I have seen these animatronics in the flesh so to speak, in Orlando, Florida. Your smaller versions are delightful and I wish you could make them commercially so I could buy them. Unfortunately I bet Mr Disney would have something to say about that.